PDA

View Full Version : PC/XT 1.44 FDC Multi I/O Card

Arabski
May 17th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Hi!

Quite unexpectedly I scored the card in title. It looks like this:

The other side has only one writing - GW212. Googling gives pretty much nothing, except this:

Does anybody has this card? Or a configuration sheet for jumpers? TH99 knows nothing about it...

MaTel
May 17th, 2011, 04:36 AM
try the settings of this card (http://th99.dyndns.org/i/P-R/50201.htm)

IBM Portable PC
November 28th, 2013, 10:46 PM
I just bought one of these also.

I'm hoping it can be set to be a secondary FDC?

modem7
November 29th, 2013, 11:52 AM
The manual for a similar card, the GW202, is at http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals.htm
There may be some similarity in jumper settings.

modem7
November 29th, 2013, 12:33 PM
I'm hoping it can be set to be a secondary FDC?
First, the hardware requirement: It would need to have a jumper or switch that changes the I/O address range from primary to secondary.
Next, the software requirement: Did the card's BIOS author cater for that, or are you expected to load a special driver?

IBM Portable PC
November 29th, 2013, 02:09 PM
First, the hardware requirement: It would need to have a jumper or switch that changes the I/O address range from primary to secondary.
Next, the software requirement: Did the card's BIOS author cater for that, or are you expected to load a special driver?

Well looking at the manual from a post below:
- I/O address cannot be changed.
- BIOS is therefore not likely to support this.

The joys of vintage, computing.........

I guess if it was easy to install extra floppy drives in my Tandy 1000 (drive 3 i.e. DS2) then I probably wouldn't want to do it.........

And no, a Compaticard I or IV won't do it.....see my thread in the RADIO SHACK genre section.

k2x4b524[
November 29th, 2013, 08:19 PM
not to hijack a thread but is there an actual way to tell the xt motherboard that there are NO floppies so a card like this could actually be used?

modem7
November 29th, 2013, 09:08 PM
not to hijack a thread but is there an actual way to tell the xt motherboard that there are NO floppies so a card like this could actually be used?
Who says that an XT motherboard (IBM or clone) needs to be configured for no floppy drives in order for 'cards like the above' to be used?

Cards like the above are designed for the IBM XT and its clones, but not as a secondary floppy controller. Cards like the above are primary floppy controllers (with extra functionality). If an existing (primary) floppy controller exists, it would need to be removed first.

k2x4b524[
November 29th, 2013, 10:03 PM
then how would the bios of this board function? The XT's onboard would steal communications with the board first and it would default to the 360/720kb specs. Still a nice board, a far cry better than my GSM Model 11..

modem7
November 29th, 2013, 11:13 PM
then how would the bios of this board function? The XT's onboard would steal communications with the board first and it would default to the 360/720kb specs.
FOR IBM XT:

During POST, one of the things that happens is that the 'interrupt vector table' is established. At that time, the pointers for the floppy related BIOS interrupts will be pointing to the floppy routines in the motherboard BIOS.

Later in the POST, a search is done for any BIOS expansion ROMs in non-video cards. The BIOS expansion ROM in the GW202 card will be found, and then the initialisation code in the card's BIOS expansion ROM executed. One of the things that that initialisation code does is change the pointers so that they point to the floppy routines in the card's BIOS expansion ROM.

The execution of the initialisation code in the card's BIOS expansion ROM happens irrespective of the 'floppy drive count' switches on the motherboard.

Robin4
December 1st, 2013, 06:39 PM
I saw that floppy card too on ebay.. I was mostly intrested in the bios rom.. I didnt bought it because i had other things to buy..
But should it be possible to upload that CMOS rom..? Maybe you can upload it to modem7..