PDA

View Full Version : TI-95 possibly coming to ipad!

curtis
May 18th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Talked to a friend of mine who works at TI and he's been granted access/license to the TI-95 source code along with all the cartridges, both released and not, with the assignment of writing an emulator for the Apple ipad2.

If you're wondering about his skill set, he also wrote an emulator of one of the TI BA-series calculators for the Apple iphone that even included the "click" of the keys! He'll do a bang-up professional job.

Depending on the success (and sales) of this emulator, he's hopeful of being able to do the same thing for the CC-40 and TI-74.

Swapping emails, I reminded him to not forget the android market.

Hopefully, we'll finally have a fully functional CC-40 with storage capability! Albeit in emulation only. Still, a chance to play/develop in an environment where you can save your work easily.

BTW, he's one of the software developers from when the CC-40 AND TI-74 were selling. He KNOWS these systems.

I'm trying to convince him to join the forum to keep us apprised of his progress.

atod
May 18th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Thats pretty neat. Those old calculators were great. I'm also very fond of my HP 32SII scientific. The keys feel awesome. I bet the iPad will have lots of other math apps like Mathmatica, etc...

curtis
May 23rd, 2011, 05:59 AM
Right now Steve (the guy with the goodies) is looking at a straight port of what was already developed, ie cartridges. Later on, if demand is high enough, he might look into adding.

However, once he gets the emulator working there's nothing to stop someone else from expanding the program base via the emulator.

acadiel
August 5th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Any way you think you can put me in contact with this guy?

I'm still struggling to get the CC-40 ROM dumped. I'd love to talk to him :)

sreid
October 19th, 2011, 07:08 AM
OK, so I finally joined the forum... Curtis and I have been talking over email for years, but I've not talked much on forums before (although I was "Steve the Mac Guy" for years when TI had a user forum on our old website...)

As Curtis noted, I've got the TI-95 source and permission to port it to the iPad, and emulate the product. I've got about 80% of the stuff working at this point, and am busily recreating the documentation as embedded HTML in the app. Module documentation will download and expand with the application module image via In-App purchase feature. I'm also working at emulating a variety of useful "peripherals" such as a printer and disk drive/tape drive; and file transfer to the iPad will be via iTunes file-sharing (so you can save registers and programs, and share new programs simply by syncing to the app.)

Since I'm only able to spend a couple hours per week on this little side project, it will take me a bit to get it where it is perfect... hopefully another 6-7 months will get it to release form. In the meantime, I'm starting to part with some of my older calculators and peripherals in my collection... need to clear space in my home office... :)

-Steve

sreid
November 10th, 2012, 03:13 PM
So, it took me a bit longer than initially planned, but I just submitted rev 1.0.0 to the Apple store. I could not call it the TI-95, at the request of TI... But they approved my RPD-95 app name.

The app is a full featured iPad app, with views for register contents and flags, an integrated keystroke program editor/assembler, and full application library support, with the ability to create an unlimited nuMber of 32k simulated RAM cartridges in the app that can be shared by email from the app.

It also has the complete User guide, Programming Guide, and an application guidebook, all built in.

I have screen shots and the full help guides on my website as well.

www.reid-performance.com/rpd95

I've spent nearly every available hour I could over the past two years on this little side project. :)

I think it turned out well. Now I'll focus on finishing the documentation on the Statistics and Chemical Engineering Libraries. I'm literally retyping the manuals from scratch in HTML... Takes some time...

Look for the app soon (hopefully, it passes app review process quickly, and the first time...)
Steve

JGardner
November 10th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Very nice! Thanks, Steve.

Jack

sreid
November 19th, 2012, 12:51 PM
OK, RPD-95 (the TI-95 Procalc on iPad) is now available in the App Store.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rpd-95/id578080235?mt=8

As a "first release" opening day special, I'll send a PROMO code good for a free copy of the app to the first five (5) forum members that send a request email to my profile email address (just use my account email, not my forum private message box; my account email address goes direct to my iPhone...)

The app is compatible with iPads running iOS 5.1 and later (which is basically ALL models of iPad).

My hope is that this app will "jumpstart" interest in keystroke programming again. Time will tell! :-)
-Steve