PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a hard drive using my ISA card

Haemogoblin
May 30th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Hi they

I have a Sharp PC7200 and i'm trying to set up a 1gb Maxtor hard drive using a Silicon Valley ISA card i have. I've never done this before, so i'm rather unfamilair with how ISA cards work + their onboard Bios's.

I'm anticipating the card wont read the full 1gb, but i was hopeful that it would detect the hard drive.

How exactly do i go about setting it up?

At present, i have the hard drive hooked up to the computer. When the machine boots, i see some text on the screen indicating the ISA card is connected "ADP60/70". It then hangs for about 30 seconds, before reporting "Drive not ready ERROR"

Cheers
James

Chromedome45
May 30th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Check the most obvious things first. Be sure the drive it is set to "Master" or "Single drive" and try again.

Haemogoblin
June 1st, 2011, 08:18 AM
Hey

Sorry for the late reply, not been well and only just been able to get to the Sharp. As i suspected, the drive was set to Master. I even tried the slave setting as you never know. But i still had a Disk Not Ready Error. I tried running Fdisk and it says no fixed disk detected.

If it helps, this is the ISA card i'm using. The bios is set to enabled.
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-disk-floppy-controllers/S-T/SILICON-VALLEY-COMPUTER-INC-Two-IDE-AT-Interface-d-67.html

Agent Orange
June 1st, 2011, 08:57 AM
Hey

Sorry for the late reply, not been well and only just been able to get to the Sharp. As i suspected, the drive was set to Master. I even tried the slave setting as you never know. But i still had a Disk Not Ready Error. I tried running Fdisk and it says no fixed disk detected.

If it helps, this is the ISA card i'm using. The bios is set to enabled.
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/hard-disk-floppy-controllers/S-T/SILICON-VALLEY-COMPUTER-INC-Two-IDE-AT-Interface-d-67.html

More on obvious:

Check and re-check your cabling. Ensure your pin 1's are lined up. Also, check to see if you are actually getting power to the HD.

Haemogoblin
June 1st, 2011, 03:28 PM
Hey

Well it doesn't hurt to check, but no. The drive is certainly powered and the cabling is good. Could someone take a look at the link i posted and possibly confirm jumpers settings with me?

As i said, i've never connected a hard drive up via ISA, so not familair with setting one up.

Cheers
James

barythrin
June 1st, 2011, 04:06 PM
So what jumpers do you have selected? I'm guessing without googling but

JP1 - closed (floppy drive disabled)
JP2 - closed (also because floppy is disabled)
JP3 - doesn't matter unless connecting floppy (which at this point may be a good test to see if the card works too)
JP4 - open (hard drive port address 1F0-1F7h I'm guessing is master)
JP5 - open (BIOS address is C800 again with the assumption that's where the master would be)
JP6 - no idea probably leave alone
JP7 - CLOSED (BIOS enabled first half to enable the bios on the card?)
JP8 - pin1/2 closed (second part to enable card's bios and maybe let you configure the drive settings)

Keep in mind write down the current settings before you play with it :-)

Haemogoblin
June 11th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Hey there, finally was able to check the Jumpers and they are set up like this. Do I access the cards Bios or something?

Cheers
James

modem7
June 11th, 2011, 05:28 PM
This is IDE (IDE-ATA). It really sounds like a basic problem. If you are unaware of the good/bad status of the controller and drive, then obviously the possibility that one may be faulty is something that you need to keep in mind. I'm sure that if you had another IDE drive, you'd have tried that.

Regarding the data cable that you are using. Is that a 'standard' 40 pin cable, or is it a 'cable select' cable (pin 28 disconned at SLAVE end - see picture at http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/ide-cable-select.html). If the latter, then in theory, by selecting MASTER on your drive, it shouldn't matter whether you use a 'standard' or 'cable select' cable, but using the middle (MASTER) connector is worth a try.

Haemogoblin
June 12th, 2011, 11:37 PM
Hi
I've tried several drives but I was using a modern IDE Cable on the last connector. I'll give the middle one a try. It might do the trick.

Haemogoblin
June 28th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Hi guys, time for and update

I've tried the suggestion with the cable and sadly it did not make any differance. The computer still reports the drive is not ready. I've now also have the chance to try a IDE / CF adaptor i bought. I was hopeful that using a 6mb CF card might give me better results, however the computer still throws back the same error.

Chuck(G)
June 28th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Usually, an IDE "drive not ready" error means a missed interrupt. Is there a hard disk controller (of any stripe) in your system other than the ADP60?

Haemogoblin
July 1st, 2011, 08:44 AM
Hi Chuck

The Sharp does have an internal hard drive port, however how you disable that port i have no idea. If you have a look at the manual i sent you, it will probably identify a 26 pin?? i think...Port that is designed for a specific JVC drive that comes with it's own adaptor board.

I began a thread a while back, which i think you contributed to even. About the internal hard drive of this sharp, which apparently was a pretty rubbish, unreliable drive back in the day. As it was pre IDE and MFM. I hope i'm remembering all this properly lol i've slept a few times since reading those posts :P

Cheers
James

Haemogoblin
July 5th, 2011, 06:14 AM
Hey Chuck, did you get a chance to look at the service manual? Was wondering if you might have seen anything

Cheers
James

RJBJR
July 5th, 2011, 07:59 AM
James,

Some interesting info here about needing a setup/diagnostic disk to change drive setups for the 7200. Maybe this info will lead you in the right direction. Worth a read if you haven't seen it.

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/forum.asp?c=496&st=1

One of the posts references the using the setup disk for an PC/AT
-------------------------------------------------------------
I have a Sharp PC-7221 [with 21Mb HD] that had the same problem and was VERY simply solved. I believe the problem was/is that the ROM BIOS needs to be refreshed as a result of a long period of inactivity...perhaps the CMOS battery is low as well.

Here's how I "fixed" mine:

1. You will need a copy of the old original IBM AT Setup Diagnostics Disk...mine is a 360Kb disk. NOTE that this original IBM utility disk is a BOOTABLE disk. I believe these are available from most FTP locations as a simple download. I think my copy was obtained from an old DOS utilities CDROM disk. My IBM Setup disk reads as version 2.04...with most of its files dated 4-24-86.

2. Insert the IBM Setup Diagnostics Disk into the A: Floppy Drive.

3. Turn the Sharp PC-7200/7221 power switch ON and allow the compter to boot to the A: drive....the DIAGNOSTICS menu screen will appear.

4. From the menu, choose the SETUP option by entering the number 4 and then pressing the keyboard ENTER/RETURN key....the SETUP routine will now start to appear on screen.

5. Follow the SETUP screen prompts, making each selection ...DATE...TIME...etc.

6. When the listing of options is shown, review to assure that they represent your PC-7200/7221. You may want to review each, selecting the option shown from the menu listing of each.

7. When done, and proimpted "Are these options correct (Y/N)?....type Y and press the ENTER/RETURN key.

8. Now remove the IBM Setup Diagnostics Disk from the A: drive...and respond to the screen prompt to press "ENTER".

Your PC-7200 should now Boot normally from the C: drive...and your A: Floppy Drive should now be normally functional.

Sorry for the long post....HTH....John
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haemogoblin
July 5th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Cool, i hadn't seen that one and i thought i'd been through the forums back to front regarding the sharp..Thanks for pointing this one out, i'm aware of the IBM AT disks being useful for the bios. This was initially one of my problems with the sharp, however i was never able to find the IBM setup disks to try this out.

RJBJR
July 5th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Ok, the diagnostics disk is here
ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/IBM_PC_BBS/refdisks/atdg207.exe

From allfiles.txt: atdg207.exe 148558 02-07-97 Adv Diag PC/AT & XT-286 v.2.07 360K

If I remember correctly it will need to be made into a floppy by executing the file and then tell it where your drive is, or maybe it's automatic, been so long since I used that.

After you make the floppy then boot the Sharp with it and see how she goes.

Chuck(G)
July 5th, 2011, 01:31 PM
James, sorry, your posting slipped through the "new posts" sieve again. I'll have a peek at the manual see what I can see.

Folks, if you post something and I don't respond within a day or two please PM me--it's almost a sure bet that the "new posts" feature has failed me.

Chuck(G)
July 5th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Okay, you'll need to remove the HD interface board or at least disconnect it (at CN1; a 40-position connector) if you're going to use a different hard drive controller. Otherwise, the internal hard disk controller will monopolize IRQ14 and you'll get "Disk not ready" if you try to read or write.

Haemogoblin
July 7th, 2011, 04:56 AM
First off, RJBJR - Cheers mate!! Where were you 3 months ago LOL!! ;) I spent ages looking for that blasted disk and could never find it. Here you come along and jusy post it!! Pfft! Right i know what i'm doing this weekend! time to dig the sharp out from it's corner :)

Chuck - There isn't a hard drive in the machine, the hard drive connector, which sits behind the floppy drive, looking like the female end of a IDE connector is empty. Is there perhaps a jumper?? I see jumpers on the board, but i've left them well alone.

Many thanks guys, really appreciate the help with this machine.

James

Chuck(G)
July 7th, 2011, 07:20 AM
I wonder if what you've been thinking is a HDD connector is in fact the connector to an absent HDD interface board.

Consult PDF page 99 (of 144 total) of the service manual and look for HDD PWB item number 17 on the exploded view. Is it there? If not, that 40 pin connector that you see connects to the HDD controller, not to an HDD itself.

Haemogoblin
July 11th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Hi Chuck

Sorry i worded that wrong, but you are correct. I have no drive and no HD controller board. From what i've been able to uncover, the stock drive that came in some of the 7200's, was a 20mb JVC (model - JD3824R00 (http://www.yjfy.com/images/oldhard/harddisk/jd3824r00.jpg)) As i've said before, this tech was out when i was 5-6, so i'm having to dig around online to learn anything useful.

I believe the hard drive and it's associated controller board are shown somewhere in the service manual.

Here is a photo of the inside of the system, this was taken prior to fitting the 1.44mb compaq floppy drive. But you can still see the connector we are discussing.
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/6150/imag0281l.jpg

Chuck(G)
July 11th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Yup, the manual seems to indicate that the HDD controller was plugged into that, even though it looks like an IDE connector, it's not--it's just a connector to the ISA bus.

Let me go back to the service manual and see if I can figure out where IRQ14 goes in your box...

Haemogoblin
July 12th, 2011, 02:06 AM
Cheers mate, i hope eventually i can get some sort of hard drive in the machine. As i dont have another computer for testing, i can't even know if the current ISA card i have, even works :(

Chuck(G)
July 12th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I ran through the schematics and IRQ14 is connected on the on the ISA expansion connector. So something else is acting funny.

Try copying the file in the attached archive over to a boot disk and run it. It should pick up your controller and drive.

Haemogoblin
July 13th, 2011, 06:36 AM
ok, will do it when i get home later this evening.

Haemogoblin
August 14th, 2011, 07:41 AM
Well its been a while since I last posted on here, as per usual things got in the way of me getting on the sharp to test the software, until today.

The software reports no controller is found, system either has no hard disk or uses SCSI :-(

Haemogoblin
August 16th, 2011, 12:38 AM
Ok, the diagnostics disk is here
ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/IBM_PC_BBS/refdisks/atdg207.exe

From allfiles.txt: atdg207.exe 148558 02-07-97 Adv Diag PC/AT & XT-286 v.2.07 360K

If I remember correctly it will need to be made into a floppy by executing the file and then tell it where your drive is, or maybe it's automatic, been so long since I used that.

After you make the floppy then boot the Sharp with it and see how she goes.

I was finally able to write this to a floppy, being as i've swapped the 5.25" drive in the Sharp with a bog standard 1.44" the exe would not unpack to any of the disks i tried. As luck would have it there's also an image file version of the ATDG207. Which i was able to write to disk using the winblows 7 system.

Sadly however on inserting the disk in to the Sharp, nothing happens, it doesn't boot up any screen at all.