PDA

View Full Version : Could you recommend a sound card with bootable SCSI?

Xanxi
June 13th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Hello.

I am using a PC bridgeboard in my Amiga A4000. It is the Commodore A2386. As the A4000 has only 3 ISA slots, among which one is used by the A2386 itself, i can only use a VGA board (STB Nitro 2 MB) and a soundcard (SB16 PnP). So, my virtual PC used hardfiles as disk space, and i am limited to 5 hardfiles of 32 MB. I would like to have way more space, like 1 or 2 GB, so i need a controller board for that (IDE or SCSI).

So i am looking for a combined soundcard that keep a perfect SB compatibility and brings me a bootable IDE or SCSI controller. I believe that the IDE ports of the sound cards are not bootable as they are meant for CD-ROM. But maybe SCSI would.

Would any of you have such a board to recommend for my use? If possible, the board has to be half-sized, no longer that the ISA slot, as those slots are inline with Zorro slots (amiga ports) on the A4000 mobo.

I could also use a board like the Cardinal SoundVision that is, as far as i know, VGA+Sound+SCSI onboard, if someone has such a board to sell.

Thanks for your help.

Chuckster_in_Jax
June 13th, 2011, 05:12 AM
Found this with a web search. Price isn't bad for a card like this either:

http://www.alancomputech.com/mpc500s.html

Review:

http://www.cucug.org/amiga/amiinfo/reviews/SOUNDvision.txt

PeterNY
June 13th, 2011, 07:55 AM
The Sound Blaster CT1770 and CT1779 have SCSI but I do not know whether those are bootable. The same with the Sound Blaster CT1610. :)

Xanxi
June 13th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the link Chuckster_in_law. Unfortunately, it seems to be only a sound card and not the combo card of the review. Indeed, there should be a vga connector on the main board and on this picture there are only audio connectors.

Thanks too PeterNY. All the problem is about to know if those board can boot a drive or not.

Unknown_K
June 13th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I think the soundblasters need a device driver for the SCSI to work, so non bootable (no BIOS). You could use the Amiga Hardfile to just boot the system with device drivers and then run off the soundcard drive for your games (drive D).

Cloudschatze
June 13th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Adaptec's AMM-1570 and AMM-1572 Sound/SCSI cards are bootable.

Xanxi
June 13th, 2011, 10:32 AM
I think the soundblasters need a device driver for the SCSI to work, so non bootable (no BIOS). You could use the Amiga Hardfile to just boot the system with device drivers and then run off the soundcard drive for your games (drive D).

Not a bad idea. Would this be possible with an IDE soundblaster? It would be cool to just add a Compact Flash to IDE adapter there. Can hard drive work on those IDE ports?

Xanxi
June 13th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Adaptec's AMM-1570 and AMM-1572 Sound/SCSI cards are bootable.

Interesting models for sure!! I have just had a look on ebay and i can't find either of them unfortunately.

Unknown_K
June 13th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Not a bad idea. Would this be possible with an IDE soundblaster? It would be cool to just add a Compact Flash to IDE adapter there. Can hard drive work on those IDE ports?

Depends, I think the IDE drivers were just for ATAPI cdrom type drives. The cool thing about SCSI is any old drive will work while IDE, EIDE, and ATAPI are all a bit different spec.