PDA

View Full Version : Mouse not being detected in Windows 3.1

T-Squared
June 14th, 2011, 03:19 PM
My adventures with my now-repaired Compaq Portable III continue! :D

So far:

The computer came in with a screen that didn't work quite correctly. (A cap blew out on the main display board only 3 days after I got it.)
I burned a trace on a video controller board connected to the screen while attempting to repair it.
Got a working screen from a junq Compaq portable; figured out a way to make a new grounding connection because the one in the junker was unique and I didn't want to go to all the trouble of transplanting it.
I thought the FDD wouldn't produce correctly-formatted floppies, until some of you told me that I was using the wrong kind of disk.
The main bezel housing has a nice crack in it that extends behind the arms for the monitor.(Partially fixed that with super glue. I'm leaving it alone until it really causes a problem, and when it does, I'll just swap the junker's housing.)
Decided to install Windows 3.1 for the sake of ease (Arachne is ugly in CGA! It's unusable!) But I kept having problems with the OS starting and 2 system files unable to be decompressed and read, until I took a gambit from a set of disks I downloaded from vetusware.com (HUGE Abandonware site! Although they're having problems with their registration and download processes) in 2009.

Everything works now, except the mouse. The mouse isn't being detected on the COM1 port and I don't know why. I've tried looking online for the mouse drivers, but they're basically non-existent. I've even checked and reset the COM port parameters to make sure I wasn't causing a conflict. Can anyone point me in right direction? The mouse seems to be generic (made by an apparently defunct company called "Anubis"), and I'm using a PS/2-to-Serial adaptor to connect it.

Unknown_K
June 14th, 2011, 03:32 PM
PS/2 to serial adapters only work with mice designed with both ports in mind (microsoft and logitech made them).

http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/ for a generic mouse driver for DOS

RetroHacker_
June 15th, 2011, 04:15 AM
PS/2 to serial adapters only work with mice designed with both ports in mind (microsoft and logitech made them).

Exactly. And I'll expand on this - basically, those adapters are nothing more than a simple connector adapter - and do nothing to convert the protocol. But, mice that were designed to work with such an adapter will detect that they're plugged into an adapter, and *internally* change their protocol to work with the adapter.

The exact same thing is common today with USB to PS/2 adapters. Those little green adapters only work with mice that were designed to use them.

So, you need a real RS232 mouse, or one that was meant to work with your adapter.

-Ian

Agent Orange
June 15th, 2011, 07:45 AM
My adventures with my now-repaired Compaq Portable III continue! :D

So far:

The computer came in with a screen that didn't work quite correctly. (A cap blew out on the main display board only 3 days after I got it.)
I burned a trace on a video controller board connected to the screen while attempting to repair it.
Got a working screen from a junq Compaq portable; figured out a way to make a new grounding connection because the one in the junker was unique and I didn't want to go to all the trouble of transplanting it.
I thought the FDD wouldn't produce correctly-formatted floppies, until some of you told me that I was using the wrong kind of disk.
The main bezel housing has a nice crack in it that extends behind the arms for the monitor.(Partially fixed that with super glue. I'm leaving it alone until it really causes a problem, and when it does, I'll just swap the junker's housing.)
Decided to install Windows 3.1 for the sake of ease (Arachne is ugly in CGA! It's unusable!) But I kept having problems with the OS starting and 2 system files unable to be decompressed and read, until I took a gambit from a set of disks I downloaded from vetusware.com (HUGE Abandonware site! Although they're having problems with their registration and download processes) in 2009.

Everything works now, except the mouse. The mouse isn't being detected on the COM1 port and I don't know why. I've tried looking online for the mouse drivers, but they're basically non-existent. I've even checked and reset the COM port parameters to make sure I wasn't causing a conflict. Can anyone point me in right direction? The mouse seems to be generic (made by an apparently defunct company called "Anubis"), and I'm using a PS/2-to-Serial adaptor to connect it.

Mouse drivers are all over the place but you have to look.

Try this:

http://cutemouse.sourceforge.net/

DOS lives on!!
June 15th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Have you tried using one of these generic types? Should be real cheap.
http://shop.syntech.co.nz/catalog/images/prodimg/img21639.jpg
Vetusware does have many problems. So many things I want to download from there. So many things that won't download......

twolazy
June 15th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Are you sure the ps2 mouse is serial compatible? Not all ps2 mice are compatible with serial protocol. Most times it will say on the bottom if it is or isn't.

RetroHacker_
June 15th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Have you tried using one of these generic types? Should be real cheap.

I think that's exactly what he's using - and that is what his problem is. The mouse won't work through one of those adapters unless it was designed to do so.

He needs a real serial mouse, or a mouse that was meant to work with one of those adapters.

-Ian

T-Squared
June 16th, 2011, 04:01 PM
I went to a Goodwill+Computer Works shop yesterday in Austin, but no such luck. I did see a LOT of really cool stuff though! They had a whole bunch of Vintage Computers, including the rare Colby computer with the EL screen! :D

Anyways, the only mice I could find were either 1997-2005, or USB. :< I know of a good place in my town to see if I can find a RS232 mouse! They seem to specialize in old computer junk, but not too old. (Lets say 1990-2000)

Unknown_K
June 16th, 2011, 05:26 PM
This one is yellowed but not too expensive:

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-MICROSOFT-TWO-BUTTON-SERIAL-MOUSE-/190543464544