PDA

View Full Version : Recognising EISA Card Sockets

Micom 2000
February 10th, 2006, 10:18 AM
My computer workhorse is an IBM PC 350. I have other faster boxes but I prefer the reliability of the 350 and it's multitude of interface options.

I recently ran into a reference that the 350 had Eisa/ISA slots as well as PCI. It specifically mentioned several models of PC350 up to the 6586. Mine is a 6587. I have a couple of EISA cards, a SCSI and a Graphics card. I believe they would both be faster than the memory-shy onboard graphics and also the ISA Scsi card that's on it now. I know the easily recognised EISA connector pins as opposed to ISA but the sockets are a different thing. Was there a color standard or feature that would easily betray EISA sockets ?

Lawrence

Terry Yager
February 10th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Lawrence,

In my experience, EISA sockets are usually colored brown, as opposed to ISA (black) and PCI, (usually white). Trouble is, a lot of MCA sockets are also colored brown too. You really have to know just what you're looking at. (It would help if you could post pictures).

--T

Micom 2000
February 11th, 2006, 12:44 AM
Ok, thats cool. If it's brown and ain't MCA it's likely EISA. I have about 10 or more IBM MCA units and so recognize the socket. I recognize, PCI and Local bus sockets too. I've likely seen for years this color coding but just attributed it to the vagaries of that particular manufacturer.

Thanks

Vlad
February 11th, 2006, 07:25 AM
MCA kinda resembles a brown PCI slot. EISA looks like a Giant PCI slot. MCA is brown, EISA is not. (At least none that Iv'e ever seen..)

MCA Mafia, "We did it our way....."

-V

Micom 2000
February 11th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Ok I opened the beast up. I definitely doesn't have EISA slots on the (LTX ?) riser. What opened up this issue for me was one of the PS/2
Mafia sites.

http://www.ps-2.org/mirrors/toconnor/6581.htm

I should have read closer.

L.