PDA

View Full Version : IBM PGC native mode question

Shadow Lord
June 19th, 2011, 08:07 PM
I am starting a new thread as the original thread was closed (quite appropriately) due to spamming:

Just wondering can the system boot in the native PGC mode (as in the system only has a PGC connected to a 5175 as its only monitor and CGA emulation mode is off)? And if so, could it work in a dual head system? I know the PGC card in emulated CGA mode will run in dual head but what about non-emulated mode? I may have to test this out when/if I get my 5175 working.

Thanks.

JohnElliott
June 19th, 2011, 11:27 PM
If the PGC is the only card in the system you need CGA emulation enabled, since no BIOS that I'm aware of supports the native mode.

If you disable emulation it can go dual-head with a real CGA, or triple-head with a CGA and an MDA.

Shadow Lord
June 20th, 2011, 07:19 AM
If the PGC is the only card in the system you need CGA emulation enabled, since no BIOS that I'm aware of supports the native mode.

If you disable emulation it can go dual-head with a real CGA, or triple-head with a CGA and an MDA.

Thanks for the info. So how about dual head w/ CGA emualtion off. You boot up w/ MDA as primary then you switch over to the PGC using "mode CO80" (I know this works when CGA emulation is on)? I am just wondering if there is anyway to access/use the PGC in DOS w/o writing software for it directly or using the CGA mode. Thanks.

JohnElliott
June 20th, 2011, 07:49 AM
I am just wondering if there is anyway to access/use the PGC in DOS w/o writing software for it directly or using the CGA mode. Thanks.

I'm not aware of any.

Shadow Lord
June 20th, 2011, 07:51 AM
I'm not aware of any.

Thanks.