PDA

View Full Version : Trouble booting MS-DOS 5.0 to hard drive

dracos
June 20th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Hopefully I am missing something obvious, maybe you can help?

I am in the middle of a couple vintage systems, this is a 386 that I am putting dos 5.0 to start on. I have installed dos 5.0 (from the three install disks) and cannot get it to boot off the hard drive.

Setup:
DTK PEM-3335D mobo, 386-DX33 & NPU, 8mb RAM, 64k cache.
Future Domain ide/fdd controller + multi I/O
WD Caviar 420mb HD + 1.44mb FDD.

Problem:
This mobo bios has no "user-define" or "auto-detect" option for the drive type.
Using drive-type 29 (406mb same, but different geometry) FDISK crashes. (I seem to remember this working for IDE drives back in the day.)
With the BIOS set to HD "NO", the controller bios sees the HD and I can FDISK and FORMAT just fine. I went ahead and used the whole 406mb.
Then I could do the install from the DOS-5.0 diskettes, just fine.
On reboot it will not boot from the HD, I have "C then A" set in the bios.
If I boot off the diskette I can then go to C: and everything is in order, system files, autoexec.bat, config.sys all look good.
If I boot without the diskette in I get the old No system disk...Press any key to reboot... message.

I used to do this for a living at one point, but other with something funky with the controller I can't think of what I missed.

I am putting together another 386 for retro gaming, this system will eventually have 2x 360k and 2x 720 drives, with multiple emulators installed for creating/copying low density diskettes for various systems.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Chuck(G)
June 20th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Did you set your boot partition active? That's often overlooked.

dracos
June 20th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Did you set your boot partition active? That's often overlooked.

Should have included that in the description, yes, the HD has one partition, it is DOS/PRIMARY/ACTIVE. Thanks.

DOS lives on!!
June 20th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Try using GSETUP to set the hard drive type.

It's at http://members.dodo.com.au/~slappanel555/software/software.htm

If it doesn't list your exact type, use ANYDRIVE, it got my Compaq Portable III working perfectly.

http://files.chatnfiles.com/Modem-Madness/modem.madness/smmutils/00index.html