PDA

View Full Version : Apple Mac system 6/7 SCSI disk partitions

twolazy
June 25th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Curious if anyone knows what other partition types are supported on Os6 on a Mac Classic. I currently have a scsi disk, and a pc with a ton of files, with a scsi adapter. Is it possible to format a partition fat16 for easier file transfers? Atm I have to resort to using a ton of emulation tools to get mac files onto mac formatted diskettes on my pc.

Using a combination of Vmac/Softmac and a few other tools like Aladdians Expander, winimage etc, I can manage to get smaller software copied over on floppy disks, provided I can find virtual hard disks (.dsks) with the files I am looking for. So far I have about half of what I was looking for, but now am stuck with a bunch of stuffit volumes, and System 7.5 that I cannot figure out how to copy off my Pc onto the Mac...

I've tried Macdisk, but the program just doesnt seem to work for me.

Any help or pokes in the right direction be great! Basically I need to know if there is a filesystem I can use on both a pc and mac, on an external hdd. And if not, is there any way to split files without disk copy? On an emulator it doesn't register the floppy disk eject properly. So I can never get past making the first disk... :(

Also does anyone know the max hdd size a older macintosh can support through scsi? 2.1gb?

RetroHacker_
June 25th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Natively, older versions of the Macintosh System Software support only the native Macintosh partition type, and the HFS filesystem. If you have the PC exchange extension installed (on System 7), you can use FAT16 formatted ZIP disks and 1.44MB floppy disks though. I don't think it supports hard disks, but I'm not sure. I know there was a PC transfer program, capable of reading PC floppies, but I know it was geared more towards data files, I don't know how well bringing over Stuffit archives would go.

Linux, however, supports the Macintosh partition tables as well as the Macintosh HFS filesystem, so you can just copy files over that way. Another option is CD-ROM. If you have either a newer version of the OS, or the CDROM extension, you can read standard ISO CDROMs on the Mac.

You'll probably want to get ResEdit, since invariably you wind up clobbering the file type and creator codes when copying files around, and you'll want ResEdit to fix them.

-Ian

twolazy
June 25th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks for responding so promptly! I kind of figured I be stuck with zip/floppy/cdrom only. Joy. Guess I could install linux on my old pII or something. Sounds like more work then its worth though.

As far as system 7 is concerned, I cant get it installed. I need some way to transfer over the installation ( .smi parts, all 19). Without Sys7 I cannot copy over any stuffit volumes from my PC. Guess I will keep an eye out for a scsi zip drive. I used to own one, but somehow its wandered away... :(

I still have a few usb and ide/atapi drives, but alot of good they do me! DOH! Wish I knew someone with a mac I could make the 19 install diskettes on...:killcomputer:

Ok how about this question then, anyone have System 7 in .dsk or .ima(image) format? I'll even take native winimage .imz... Stuck in a catch-22 atm.

Arbee
June 27th, 2011, 02:45 PM
If you have access to a modern Mac running OS X 10.5 (Leopard) or earlier, it can mount "classic" HFS disks and partitions and block-by-block images of them read/write (for image files name it .img or .dmg and just double-click it in Finder). This has been a lifesaver for me working on the MESS emulation since I don't "cheat" the disk drivers like other emulators and therefore the emulation wants exactly the same thing as a real IIcx. Unfortunately 10.6 (Snow Leopard) scaled that back to read-only, and it'll probably be gone in 10.7.

twolazy
June 27th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Sadly no, I dont have a modern mac. Been itching to do a Hackintosh, just never got around to it LOL. I ended up using a few emulation tools and succeeded in installing system 7.5.1.

Here is how i did it

For the mac emulator I used vmac. It seemed to be the most stable with .dsk images. I also used HdExplorer 1.31 and Winimage. Using a blank mac diskette, i made an image in Winimage. After copying the image file, I duplicated it 19x. I then loaded up HdExplorer, and the new blank images file just created. Within HdExplorer I copied over the files to the images. Then I tested them on Vmac running an install. Everything went great, so I proceeded to winimage 2 diskettes over and over copying the files to my mac. In the end it worked great!

BTW, I happen to have System 7.5.1 and a basic System 7 boot disk in winimage/generic .dsk format if anyone needs them. Most likely in the future I will add them to my website for download.

RWallmow
June 29th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Iomega Jaz drives are also great for PC/MAC/AppleII data transfer, you can get them for a song on ebay, they come in 1gb and 2gb formats. Seems like a drive people have forgotten about, no one seems to want them, so drives and disks are relatively cheap (cheaper than SCSI ZIP anyways), in my opinion they are more reliable than Zip disks too.

I LOVE my JAZ drives for downloading disk images on either my PC or modern Mac and copying them to my older Mac/AppleII's, even the 1GB JAZ can hold a ton of disk images. I also use some 2gb cartridges as a backup to the hard drives in my Mac SE and Apple IIgs, I have fully bootable copies of the hard drives of both computers on two 2gb JAZ disks.

aoresteen
July 3rd, 2011, 07:36 AM
The early Macs can read & write 1.4MB DOS floppy disks if you have a 1.4MB drive. I am not aware of how you would partition a local hardrive FAT, FAT32, or NTFS. I think you can make an A/UX partition. Also Disk Manager Mac 2.x *might* be able to format a drive as FAT. I haven't used it in five tyears so I'm not sure.

If you have a network you can have the Macs log on and get files from it. I use Windows Server 2000 with Apple support and file transfers are easy.

You can also use Apple Share 2.0.6 on a 6.0.8 Mac and put PC files there. My loaded SE 30 just runs Apple Share 2.0.6 for this purpose.

Good luck!