PDA

View Full Version : Kaypro II

ziloo
February 12th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Would a Kaypro computer that works in the US with 120 V, 60 Hz rating work properly in a country with 220 V, 50 Hz electricity supply :?: Power reduction using a transformer is no problem, but would the difference in frequency affect the monitor's performance? What about those Kaypro computers that are being used in Europe? Were they manufactured per Europe standards? On the Kaypro pictures that I have seen, I do not find a power-frequency adjustment switch :huh: .

well.......

Terry Yager
February 12th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Have you opened the K-II up and checked the power supply itself? I can't recall for sure, but a lot of those old PS units will have a jumper to select voltage/freq.

--T

ziloo
February 13th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Terry,

I don't have a Kaypro computer, and I am trying to get one :roll: . I have seen the rear picture of a Kaypro II and it says 120V, 60Hz. But from where I am, I can not put mine hands inside one :x .

So.... there I am.

Terry Yager
February 13th, 2006, 07:54 AM
Mine are all pretty buried right now. I'll try and dig one out sometime soon.

--T

Micom 2000
February 13th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Just had a look at the back of my Kaypro ll and it has a 2amp/120v. fuse. On the back of my Kaypro 2x however, it has a 2amp/250v fuse. No 110/220v switch on the outside like in some computers designed also for the european market but possibly one on the inside, or that could handle the higher voltages in Europe. There were also programs to deal with the euro 50 cycle rate which mainly had an effect only on monitors IIRC.

Lawrence

ziloo
February 14th, 2006, 03:29 AM
You have both posted several times about Kaypro computer.
I picked it mainly because of its look, and Terry believes
that (P.S. Ghawd uses a Kaypro). With all the varieties
of 8-bit computers, what is so special about Kaypro? :shock:

Terry Yager
February 14th, 2006, 08:02 AM
You have both posted several times about Kaypro computer.
I picked it mainly because of its look, and Terry believes
that (P.S. Ghawd uses a Kaypro). With all the varieties
of 8-bit computers, what is so special about Kaypro? :shock:

The Kaypro CP/M machines are just special to me because my first (real) computer was a K-II. It was love at first sight.

--T