PDA

View Full Version : I think this is a 1st generation (the work is definitely vintage)

NathanAllan
July 1st, 2011, 11:15 AM
Hi guys,

I got called to fix this machine, so I documented it with a short three videos that I put on youtube.

The owner uses it basically to do taxes on and it has never been on the internet. It runs pretty good, but there are some slight driver problems. No real issue, since he doesn't need things to work perfect. But he also told me that he has no need for the internet at home-- and I cannot identify with that statement.

Hope you guys enjoy, might be off-topic but fixing a floppy drive is always a bit of a blast.

http://youtu.be/vaNH113LeS4

NathanAllan
July 2nd, 2011, 12:51 PM
I got the floppy drive to work as shown in the videos, and the guy got his machines today.

He asks, "Can we have both machines running and connect one to the other and I back up onto it?" **YES** Time to break out the null modem cables. I am going to hook up a small DCC network from one Compaq to the other. And get paid for it. I love this stuff.

He told me to get a "proposal" ready for him. One cable, Win95 and Win98. A shared folder. That's the proposal. Maybe a KVM so he doesn't have to have two complete setups, but I don't know yet. Definitely a null modem from serial-serial, though.

twolazy
July 2nd, 2011, 08:02 PM
null modem? Uhm not to be sarcastic/cynical or anything, but pci nic's are cheap as dirt. Toss in a simple xover cable and your good to go... mucho mucho faster and less then 15 bucks most likely for 2 nics and the cable. :thumbsup:

Watching your video I do understand that his data can fit on a floppy, but for little more then price of the null modem cable you have a much faster link.

dabone
July 2nd, 2011, 08:08 PM
I worked on a POS system at a paint store again last month. Dos based software using 2 16meg Windows 95 boxes.
(They still don't want to upgrade.... grr.)

later,
dabone

NathanAllan
July 2nd, 2011, 08:38 PM
null modem? Uhm not to be sarcastic/cynical or anything, but pci nic's are cheap as dirt. Toss in a simple xover cable and your good to go... mucho mucho faster and less then 15 bucks most likely for 2 nics and the cable. :thumbsup:

Watching your video I do understand that his data can fit on a floppy, but for little more then price of the null modem cable you have a much faster link.
I could, but he doesn't want to pay me for much, and balked a bit at the $20 I charged him to do a complete rundown, tweak and fix the fdd. Heck, I have a 3Com nic here that windows has the drivers for natively, but he doesn't want to buy it for $10.

I forgot to mention, the machine he wants to link to has Win98SE with all the drivers, and a working ethernet card. But again, he doesn't want to pay much for anything. Agreed, though, a nic would be faster. He also wants to plan on future upgrades, and having a network in place with a switch and data on a network hdd would be really handy.

dabone, I know how those guys can be, and they'll wish they upgraded AFTER the machine stops working and business is down for a certain time when they have no choice when no machines out there are like the ones they have, ending up spending a bundle by being forced to.

NathanAllan
July 6th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Well, I talked to him again today and then decided to go through a couple of boxes, and found his nic that was suggested (props to twolazy). I'm going to next get a cheap-o switch or hub and get him a network that can accept another computer when he *is* ready to get one.

Mainly because I have a thing for running a serial network (works every time I mean come on!) and don't want to give him my null modem cable. Not gonna happen. I need it for too many things around here and can't replace it now if I wanted to (or if I needed to).

Though I still might do the crossover ethernet cable, I am going to hold out for a switch or hub for now. He'll need it for future expansion anyhow. Also he likes the way I charge and didn't make fun of him like another computer store did.

dracos
July 6th, 2011, 06:46 AM
Once you get the ethernet hub going, you should go grab him up a giveaway Ultra-SparcII and set it up as a file server.
I love this thread, keep posting!

twolazy
July 6th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I suggest hitting up goodwill or salvation army. I regularly see 3-4 dollar routers and hubs there. I just picked up 2 wgt54's there for 5 dollars each last weekend. If you have one local... Glad to see your doing a network instead. :thumbsup:

Jorg
July 6th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I love this thread, keep posting!

Agree! I just wonder how it would look as a blog entry, might be easier to read! (just a suggestion)

NathanAllan
July 6th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I'll keep it going as much as I can, depends on when the guy wants to have me work on his stuff.

I kinda like the interaction of forum posting rather than a blog posting. This is more of "what I am doing" and not "what I did" type of thing.

Going to Goodwills tomorrow, will be looking at several to see what kind of hardware I can come up with.

Jorg
July 6th, 2011, 10:33 AM
well, it won't shake me off, its too interesting :)

NathanAllan
July 16th, 2011, 04:00 PM
At goodwill today I picked up a Linksys wired/wireless router for this project. It is on my network now, seems to be working.

When I can, it'll be time to head to monoprice to get some cables and get his network all hooked up. I'll have to "survey" how he is going to have them, length of the cables and all that.

If I didn't have a paying job for this little router, I'd be keeping it. But I can always check goodwill again. Snagged it for $7 :) It's a WRT54GS v6, will definitely look way out of place with the two Win9x machines he has. But it will work admirably. I passed up an external CD drive for this, but they had several of those, and I see them all the time.

twolazy
July 17th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Woot! Nice find, just got myself the same model router, v8 though for 5.99 a few weeks ago at my local goodwill. Gotta love them! Everytime I need another router I always go there first... =)

Glad to hear they served you well too! :D

BTW That router can be flashed to OpenWRT and sold for an easy 30 bux on ebay...done that a few times as well, helps pay for new vintage parts! ^_^
http://wiki.openwrt.org/