PDA

View Full Version : How to backup apps of my os 9???

jesuisdvd
July 4th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I bought a few days ago a G3 beige with many apps on it, but i want to format the hd and reinstall the 9.2, the problem is i dont want to loose all the software installed on the mac and i need to know how can i backup all the apps and reinstall later:confused:

RWallmow
July 4th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Well Macs are unlike PCs in that most apps, unless there's some kind of copy protection in place, can be just dragged and dropped from their respective folder to another computer or OS install. So just drag and drop the apps you want to keep over to another drive or some kind of removable disk. Though if there's a specific app you want to test this with, I would swap in a new hard drive, so you don't risk losing it because of installing a new OS, then if the drag and drop doesn't work, swap drives back, nothing lost.

twolazy
July 4th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I believe ghost will make backup images of HFS and HFS+ filesystems... That is if you have a PC that can interface with the drives... Not sure if yours is ide or scsi...

jesuisdvd
July 4th, 2011, 09:57 AM
The internal hdd is IDE, but i have a couple of external scsi hdd to see if it works or not... ty guys i'll try.

RWallmow
July 4th, 2011, 12:45 PM
The internal hdd is IDE, but i have a couple of external scsi hdd to see if it works or not... ty guys i'll try.

With a hacked version of apples HD Setup tool you can format and use pretty much ANY IDE hard drive (save for 32gb limit of beige G3 Macs IDE controllers,the only reason I have SCSI hard drive in my G3). And while it has a 32gb limit, you can use a larger drive, its space just goes wasted, I was using a 40gb drive formatted to 32gb until I picked up a pair of 75gb SCSI drives for mine. SCSI is way faster than the ATA66 controller in the G3, but they make PCI ATA133 and SATA cards for those G3s that get past the 32gb limit, so you have lots of options. Really quite a few things you can do with a Beige G3, easy to overclock, easy to expand, plus its the fastest/best Mac that can read 800k Mac/AppleII disks.

jesuisdvd
July 4th, 2011, 02:30 PM
My G3 got 2 IDE connectors one for the HDD and the other for cd drive, the HDD is an IBM IDE 40gb (38gb formatted) and works fine.