PDA

View Full Version : Interest in San Francisco Bay Area Vintage Computer Club?

gubbish
July 5th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Hi all,

Wanted to see if there was any interest in forming a vintage computing club in the San Francisco area. Considering the role this area has played in computing, I imagine there must be other vintage computer fans within a few miles of me!
I'm a vintage computer enthusiast and tinkerer living in San Francisco, and wanted to see who else is in the area and would be interested in forming some type of group.
So far I've been working on vintage computer projects on my own, and thought it would be more fun to work on things with others.
I'm thinking semi-regular meetings where folks can bring their vintage computer projects to share with the group and generally just enjoy the hobby.

Please let me know if you're in the Bay Area and would be interested in this..
Or if you know of an existing club in the area, please let me know! Thanks.

ahm
July 6th, 2011, 04:05 AM
There's already a very large vintage computer club near you. http://www.computerhistory.org/

Erik
July 6th, 2011, 06:24 AM
There's already a very large vintage computer club near you. http://www.computerhistory.org/

Good point, but they aren't quite the same social hub that I think gubbish is looking for.

But then, maybe I can talk them into moving in that direction. :P

Meanwhile, yes, I'd be interested. There was a Bay Area Classic Computer group for a while that did monthly meetups and everything. Haven't heard much from them recently.

Al Kossow
July 6th, 2011, 11:15 AM
The Museum does provide space for club meetings if you can work around
event rentals.

Erik
July 6th, 2011, 02:09 PM
event rentals.

Good point. I've seen the sliderule guys in there, for instance.

Assuming that is the venue then all that's left is setting up a meeting and spreading the word... :)

rmelick
July 6th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Hello,
I would be interested. South San Francisco here, so west side of the bay would be great.
Thanks,
Rick

lutiana
July 6th, 2011, 10:12 PM
event rentals.

Do you know if they charge for the space if a club uses it?

It be nice to setup a club that meets maybe once a month. I'd be curious as to how many people here are located and/or prefer to meet in the South Bay? how many in the East Bay/North Bay? and how many on the peninsula and in SF?

Erik
July 7th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I'm South Bay/San Jose and get to the museum quite a bit.

I'd be unlikely to go to the East Bay... :)

lutiana
July 7th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I'd be unlikely to go to the East Bay... :)

I'd guess there are people in the east bay that would say the same about the south bay. It be nice to find a few different places to host the meetings, we could bounce between the South Bay, East Bay and the city.

gubbish
July 7th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the replies, great to see there's some interest in doing this!
The Computer History Museum would be a great place to meet, if it's possible. I'm happy to look into this further, does anyone have any information about who to talk to about this? Otherwise I'll just call up the museum and see if I can find anyone to ask about this.
I'm open to meeting anywhere - SF and peninsula are best for me, but I'm open to other places if there's a good place to meet.
I like the idea of having a few different places to meet - so far the museum is one, any other ideas? I'll keep my eyes open for other possible locations. Thanks!

Twylo
July 7th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Heck yes. I live in Santa Clara, I'd be very interested.

There is a mailing list called BACCL, "The Bay Area Classic Computer List", that I started many moons ago (1998, I think? Yikes!). I haven't run it in ages, but the list still exists and folks are still on it, though it's pretty quiet lately. Check out http://lists.baccl.net/mailman/listinfo/ for more info. I'm sure you'll find additional interest there.

-Twylo

gubbish
July 14th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Hi again,

Twylo, thanks for the information, I'll check out the list and see if I can stir up more interest there.
Just a quick update - I called up the Computer History Museum venue rental number to see what was up with meeting space for clubs..
From what I gathered from the call they mainly rent for larger events - the cheapest room rate they had was $850/day.. ouch.
I'll keep on looking to see if I can find a reasonable meeting spot. Please let me know if you have any ideas, thanks!
- Mike

Erik
July 14th, 2011, 02:14 PM
I'd guess there are people in the east bay that would say the same about the south bay. It be nice to find a few different places to host the meetings, we could bounce between the South Bay, East Bay and the city.

Agreed. For me it's a time committment thing. I have enough trouble with all of my other non-family efforts that adding another, especially one including an extra hour of drive time, would get me in (more) trouble with "The Boss" (tm) ;)

lutiana
July 17th, 2011, 09:05 AM
From what I gathered from the call they mainly rent for larger events - the cheapest room rate they had was $850/day.. ouch.

I wonder if they would be willing to sponsor such a club by letting us use the room for free for a few hours a month (around their schedule).

Erik
July 17th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Hi again,

Twylo, thanks for the information, I'll check out the list and see if I can stir up more interest there.
Just a quick update - I called up the Computer History Museum venue rental number to see what was up with meeting space for clubs..
I'll keep on looking to see if I can find a reasonable meeting spot. Please let me know if you have any ideas, thanks!
- Mike

I think some wires got crossed... I'm just not sure where.

The venue rentals are different, I think/hope than what Al was talking about (providing club meeting space around rental events.)

I'll defer to Al to clarify but, if they don't offer free meeting space to relevant clubs I'll see if I can plead a case while we meet elsewhere.

gubbish
July 17th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Ah, thanks for the information. I just called the main venue rental number indicated on the CHM website and spoke to someone about various rooms that were available to rent. I did mention that we were looking for meeting space for a computer history related club but that didn't seem to open any doors, at least not during that conversation. It seems possible that there is a different pathway for getting set up with club meeting space there. Any insights on making progress in that direction would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime I've called a few other places looking for meeting space - local libraries, community centers and the like. So far there is one possibility with a community center in Palo Alto, they rent classrooms for a fairly reasonable rate. I'll check in with them further and see what the details are.

cappy2112
October 30th, 2014, 09:46 PM
Hi,

I'm in San Jose, and have looked at Meetup.com and been googling too.
I'm quite surprised there aren't more retro/vintage computing groups in the Bay Area.
The ComputerHistory Museum is really cool, but it's hardly a user group.
I wouldn't mind going there for meetings though, I'm sure they would host a group if we were good tenants.