PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my Adlib?



manicminer
July 27th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Greetings,
I have a Adlib clone. Today, I plugged it in my PII running MS-DOS 6.22 and I went to play Monkey Island 1.
But the music is all messed up! I made a quick video to show you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsF8hjwUH6A

Any hint on what's wrong here?
Cheers

Maverick1978
July 28th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Honestly, I'm not familiar with Adlib sounds, as my first sound card was an SB-compatible and the games I played always supported SB. Watching your video, I can't tell if that's just really bad music or if it's how things are supposed to sound. Why don't you describe what it's doing now vs. what it should be doing? Is the audio leaving the cad just distorted? - if so, try reseating your speaker cable, or changing it out and trying different speakers. Eliminate the easy stuff before moving onto the hard stuff (component-level troubleshooting on the card)

Great Hierophant
July 28th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I would suggest that your computer is too fast and the OPL2 chip cannot cope. Try slowing it down as much as possible, starting with disabling the cache.

manicminer
July 28th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Maverick1978 >> Thank you for your reply.
Let me show you how the music should play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMGFkgiiQLk

Just fast forward to 03:04.

The sound is not distorted, and the timbre of the sound card is really good. But it's playing the musics all messed up. THe notes and instruments are all wrong.
I tried to change the ISA slot, re seated the sound card, cleaned it's contacts but with no luck.

Best regards

per
July 29th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Does the problem reoccour if you try to use the card in a different computer or if you run a different game/program?

The AdLib is basically an address decoder, a single-chip sound generator (with DAC) and an amplifier. In this case it really sounds like the the sound generator or it's DAC may be a bit troublesome. You may want to try replacing the sound generator/DAC with one from some broken SB2.0 card.

Chuck(G)
July 29th, 2011, 09:11 AM
If the card works as it should in a different computer, I'd suspect two things right off the top.

The first is that the CPU may be too fast for the software to work correctly.

The second is that the implementation of the ISA bus on your system is screwed up. I've had miserable problems with ISA implementation issues on some Slot 1 and Socket 370 motherboards.

manicminer
July 29th, 2011, 01:14 PM
Greetings once again,
This system has 2 soundcards. One is a ISA Sound Blaster AWE64 Value, and the Adlib.
Today I tried another game, Dune 2. It has some wonderful FM soundtracks. The card plays all the music flawlessly. Speech goes from the AWE64 into the sound-mixer, and music goes from the Adlib also into the sound-mixer.
I suspect that my Adlib clone is a OPL2 chip and not OPL3. Could this be the problem?
Cheers

per
July 29th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Greetings once again,
This system has 2 soundcards. One is a ISA Sound Blaster AWE64 Value, and the Adlib.
Today I tried another game, Dune 2. It has some wonderful FM soundtracks. The card plays all the music flawlessly. Speech goes from the AWE64 into the sound-mixer, and music goes from the Adlib also into the sound-mixer.
I suspect that my Adlib clone is a OPL2 chip and not OPL3. Could this be the problem?
Cheers

It may be corrupted datafiles for the particular nonworking game (monkey island). Have you tried to reinstall the game? As far as I know, Monkey Island should work just fine with the OPL2.

Just do be aware of that there certainly is a hardware conflict between the AdLib clone and the AWE64. The AWE64 has some degree of AdLib support too, allthough what it provides is more of an emulation of the actual OPL3 rather than using real OPL3 hardware. The game may perhaps detect the AWE64's OPL3-like implemention, and treat your OPL2-based AdLib clone as an OPL3. To fix the problem if this is the case, just remove the AWE64.

manicminer
July 29th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Per>> That's great information. When I arrive home, I'll disconnect the AWE, remove the settings from the Autoexec.bat and Config.sys and then try again.
Cheers