PDA

View Full Version : Wireless World / Powertran PSI Comp 80 - info wanted

1980s_john
February 18th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Hi,

In 1979 Wireless World (a British electronics magazine) published a series of construction articles for a 'Scientific Comoputer', that featured the unusual combination of a Z80 8-bit micro and a MM57109 calculator chip as a form of co-processor.

This was then available as a kit from Powertran Computers (a division of Powertran Electronics, who nowadays are remembered for their analogue synths). I have (on loan) the set of construction articles from Wireless World, but unfortunately they do not include some critical infomraiton such as the listing for the monitor program (let alone the Basic).

I haven't found any references to this computer on the web, so if anyone has one of these rare machines please let me know, hopefully I might be able to build one myself one day!

Regards,
John

1980s_john
January 25th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Hi,

I have been contacted by the creator the PSI Comp 80 (who is also the author of the Wireless World articles) - so watch this space for further info on this machine.

If any other users still have one of these please also get in touch,

Regards,
John

jevans17
January 12th, 2012, 05:05 AM
Hi,

i realise that this is an old thread BUT...

I would like to obtain the full details of the instructions to build the PSI comp 80 Scientific computer as laid out in the Wireless world magazine in 1979. I believe it was spread over several issues.

Wireless world is no more but I DID used to have the details I am asking for but must have discarded it along the avenue of life.

I Live in the UK - I am 68 years old and in 2011 I retired from almost 40 years in the IT business. I have several computers but I have become interested again in the above mentioned machine.

if you can help or even put me in touch with someone who can I would appreciate it

Happy New Year

John

1980s_john
January 13th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Hi John,

I did indeed scan in some articles, I had uploaded them to my website but then forgot to post a link - doh!

Here they are:

http://www.vintagecomputers.btinternet.co.uk/comp80/

Regards,
John

jevans17
January 13th, 2012, 05:03 PM
thanks a lot John,

I'm not sure if its too late to use the info - not even sure its possible to obtain all the components
BUT its a challenge

Thanks again

John Evans

1980s_john
February 27th, 2013, 03:50 PM
I did indeed scan in some articles, I had uploaded them to my website but then forgot to post a link - doh!

http://www.vintagecomputers.btinternet.co.uk/comp80/

The btinternet.com pages were closed last year, I copied the content to here:

http://vintagecomputers.site90.net/comp80/

Regards,
John

mister35mm
January 10th, 2016, 07:36 PM
Reference:- Powertran PSI 80 Scientific computer

Hi there,

Saw your post from 2012!

Are you still looking for one of these?

If you are, call me, 07956-544202 or contact via private message