PDA

View Full Version : Apple's first generation imac

jjzcp
February 19th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Ok, so a last christmas, our family got a 20" imac G5. At the time it was top of the line, 1.8 GHz G5, DVD burner, it just didn't have a wireless card, because we didn't need it. Then the problems started about a month ago. Acording to my brother, who was using it at the time, said that he smelt something burning, and then just shut it off. Yesterday i fainly got to calling apple, and to my suprise (not!) i the guy who was supposed to help me had the intellegence of a nat, who tried. The first thing i had to do was take off the back, and all this guy would say was loosen the screws. No duh! So i did, and i asked what part is supposed to come off. He replied, "well, i think the back should come off." I then (frustrated at this point) said, is there anyting i need to pull on to take it off. He then said, word per word, "if you losen the screws, it should come off." I eventually, got it done, and all i could think was, what an idot, it's not magic. That was a wasted 30 munites of my life. Turns out, the power supply is ruined, and it needs to be replaced, and to top it of Apple said the machine was worth only $900.00 fixed, and we paid over $2500 for it!

carlsson
February 20th, 2006, 04:36 AM
A G5 based iMac is not the first generation - more like 3rd generation iMac if I remember correctly. No idea how quickly it drops in value, but did you get it for Christmas 2004?

Micom 2000
February 20th, 2006, 08:36 AM
I was speaking to a teacher in the small local high school which was using NT as their OS. I was surprised but even more so when he told me he had taught in Churchill, Manitoba and they used Macs to teach computing !

For those who don't know where that is, it's just below the Arctic Circle on Hudsons Bay. It's a wonder Stephan Jobs didn't use that to peddle computers.
What a seductive combination, Polar bears and MacIntosh.

Lawrence

Who lives in Manitoba north of the 50th parallel, in the middle of nowhere.

carlsson
February 20th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Heh, they should've used some sort of Linux. Do you know why polar bears in nature don't eat penguins?

Because they live on two different continents!

jjzcp
February 21st, 2006, 08:27 PM
What i ment was first generation G5, and yes, i did get it in chiristmas of 2004.