PDA

View Full Version : Screw the Screwers

Micom 2000
February 27th, 2006, 07:09 PM
For 3 days I've been struggling with my usually reliable box. It's an IBM 350 with an MMX processor upgrade and 64m. ram. Yes kiddies, I get by without multi-gig processors or megaram memory.

GASP !! Just take a deep breath and you'll feel okay.

My first indications that something was wrong was when I opened Windblows Media player and it came up with a wav file ayb.wav which was a speech synthesized recording with both a female and male voice informing me that "all your base belong to us". It stuttered a bit likely because they expected more memory. It didn't make much sense because of a translation of "base" from another language. It also revealed that it was in my Temp Internet Folder files. So it likely didn't come from an e-mail, especially since I use Pegasus. From Sophus I learned that it was a Trojan worm, w-32 Rbot ayb. Fine, but Sophus like the good corporate software citizen they are only gave relief if you had their program installed. OK, I've zapped malignant programs myself before by deleting the main program when you know it's disguise and then later zapping anything that was dependent upon it.

I hate upgrades because they usually render your earlier functioning programs unusable such as most of the Adobe "updates". In this case I downloaded the newest update to AntiVirus PE but it came up blank to "ayb". Using Spybot seemed to help a bit and I suspect a Yahoo spybot as the main culprit. Finally a deletion of my cookies made my IE browser usable again without either a B-S-D or a reboot. But of course that means signing in all over the place.

I guess the computer gods are punishing me for using M-Shit and I've been trying to download Mozilla Firefox, but to no avail so far, as this box regurgetates IE blue screen when I try to download.

All of this merely reemphasizes the gap between the corporate marketeers and the IT community. I feel no empathy for the software giants as they blather about Piracy or the theft of Intellectual Property. They usually acquired it from their own piracy of the work of usually badly paid programmers in the US or at asbymical salaries in countries such as India. Or from musicians or artists all over the world. Screw them if you can. Unfortunately the age of Buttonware is long past.

Lawrence

mbbrutman
February 27th, 2006, 08:07 PM
I'm a computer professional. I started back in 1983 on a Timex Sinclar 1000 (ZX81), moved up to a PCjr with DOS 2.1, and have done just about everything in between. (DOS 3.x, DOS 5, DOS 6.x, Windows 3.x, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, RedHat Linux 6.x, 7.x, 8.x 9.x, Fedora Core x, SuSE (both PowerPC and Linux), OS/400, AIX 3.x through 5.x, Solaris, DEC Ultrix, BlueGene, etc ...)

When stuff is setup and works, it seems perfect. But gawd help you when the !@#! hits the fan. I grizzled veteran such as myself will even start cursing. I can't imagine what mere mortals do.

NathanAllan
February 27th, 2006, 11:27 PM
I hear ya! I'm migrating to Unix/Linux because of that. I want my computer to last for as long as I like it and it works physically. I hate being spoon-fed my OS and all the compatability issues. When I upgraded to winblows2k I lost the ability to use my old camera. It wasn't anything fancy but now I have to get a new crappy camera just so the computer will see it. Same deal with my scanner. I can't use it anymore, it isn't recognized. I bought a brand new parallel port hdd case and my win2k computer refuses to acknowledge it. Linux likes all of it though, crappy and low-pixel they may be and slow. But they'll work. I can still use that stuff with the 95 laptop, but then have to jump throughhoops transferring it all over to the frekkin 2k machine.

I'll stop ranting, this is Micom's rant, heh heh. I PM'd you, Micom.

And Atari's ROCK!

Terry Yager
February 28th, 2006, 09:10 AM
For 3 days I've been struggling with my usually reliable box. It's an IBM 350 with an MMX processor upgrade and 64m. ram. Yes kiddies, I get by without multi-gig processors or megaram memory.

GASP !! Just take a deep breath and you'll feel okay.

My first indications that something was wrong was when I opened Windblows Media player and it came up with a wav file ayb.wav which was a speech synthesized recording with both a female and male voice informing me that "all your base belong to us". It stuttered a bit likely because they expected more memory. It didn't make much sense because of a translation of "base" from another language. It also revealed that it was in my Temp Internet Folder files. So it likely didn't come from an e-mail, especially since I use Pegasus. From Sophus I learned that it was a Trojan worm, w-32 Rbot ayb. Fine, but Sophus like the good corporate software citizen they are only gave relief if you had their program installed. OK, I've zapped malignant programs myself before by deleting the main program when you know it's disguise and then later zapping anything that was dependent upon it.

I hate upgrades because they usually render your earlier functioning programs unusable such as most of the Adobe "updates". In this case I downloaded the newest update to AntiVirus PE but it came up blank to "ayb". Using Spybot seemed to help a bit and I suspect a Yahoo spybot as the main culprit. Finally a deletion of my cookies made my IE browser usable again without either a B-S-D or a reboot. But of course that means signing in all over the place.

Lawrence

Lawrence,

I am the originator of the file 'ayb.wav' and I can assure you, it didn't have a virus attached to it in it's original form. The file was created to demonstrate a point in a discussion on these forums sometime ago. The thread is here, if you'd like to refresh your memory:

http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showthread.php?t=1403

The original file lives on my own webspace, but of course, I cannot guarantee that some evil haxorz haven't d/l-ed it and tampered with it in some way.

--T

EDIT: I just googled 'ayb.wav' and got about ten hits to my space, so the file is easily accessible to the public. I s'poze someone might've attached some malware code and released it into the wild. I also checked my copy with the latest update of NAV, and it comes up clean.

--T

Micom 2000
February 28th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Hmm. Hope the problem didn't come from here. I entered "ayb virus" in the google search bar and a Sophus link identified it as a Trojan worm. Check it out. My MSIE became unusable and kept giving me the Blue S of D or else rebooted.

In any case I've installed Firefox as my default browser and it seems to be running well. I'd been meaning to do that for some time anyway. Any thing that loosens MS$ hold on my throat. Since I have a lot of time and programs invested in Win98 SE I wanted to remain on the platform.

I'll likely give another go at installing Linux on one of my other boxes. I have RedHat 5.2 on CD. The last time I tried to install it I only had a 1G. HD on that particular box. I also detest log-in passwords and since I live alone don't really need one. Of course the piece of paper I had it on soon disappeared.

I'm only hoping I still have my NEXT login someplace accessable when I finally resurrect it. Took me many days to get past the original login. I guess all collectors share my detestation of them for the time wasted trying to bypass them on some old box with cooking recipes or the like on them.

MY lovely DEC Pro350 is still unused by me because of that same problem.
It isn't that a determined snoop can't get by all of them but that it takes time, determination and enduring a lot of frustration.

Lawrence

Terry Yager
February 28th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Ooooh, I see what ya mean. I hope nobody has been using my file to distribute malware...

--T

--T