PDA

View Full Version : VLB IDE Card with RAID Support?

kithylin
August 15th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I'm looking for information, specifically model #'s and spec's on any VLB IDE controller cards with active caching using 30-pin memory, and support RAID either 0 (Striping) or 1 (Mirroring) for 486 era computers.

I know one exists, i saw it recently through some googling, and ended up on an old forum thread on a different site (german translated to english with google translate) here: LINK (http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.planet3dnow.de%2Fvbulletin%2Fsh owthread.php%3Ft%3D357889)

They discuss the TEKRAM DC-680C, which showing in the manual supports raid-0 and Raid-1 (mirroring) however i know there were other models, maybe we can discuss here.

I used to years ago have a 486 with a PROMISE VLB IDE controller that did active caching with memory modules, I don't remember now if it did raid or not though.

I just thought we maybe could pool our knowledge of these and list models and if or not they do support raid, etc.

Unknown_K
August 15th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I have a few different model caching controllers for VLB but don't know if any do RAID. Are you trying to get more speed from older drives (striping) or just want to have the safety of mirroring?

Just looked at my 4030VL Promise box and it doesn't mention RAID anywhere on the cover. I don't have the manual handy.

kithylin
August 15th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Well, I was thinking speed possibly yes, and in general try and find a list of several different ones so I have something to search for, as I can't find the tekram one listed there on that other page for sale anywhere online, so.. I thought maybe a short list of other alternative ones might broaden the scope of my search a little.

Unknown_K
August 15th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I have the Promise, Tekram and DTC models plus an AMI fastdisk (SCSI) and don't recal RAID options. You are limited by the VLB bus anyway plus 8GB or smaller drives which are not that fast anyway.

joekster
August 15th, 2011, 01:03 PM
My tekram does raid1 - mirroring.

IBMMuseum
August 15th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Requirements:

486-level system CPU - Check
30-pin SIMMs for caching - Check
RAID all the way to 5 - Check
A few different adapters, with good availability - Check
VLB - Nope, I was thinking microchannel and SCSI

kithylin
August 15th, 2011, 04:47 PM
I never said it had to be raid5... raid-0 alone would be pretty nice actually, and I was thinking likely the best performance option for 486 era computers.
I know that Tekram does raid-0, I was just guessing there had to be something else, possibly, maybe the Tekram one is the only one?
Did any company produce SCSI RAID controllers for ISA or non-PCI?

I almost forgot about EISA too... I wonder if there's any scsi RAID cards for EISA format, if there are I've never heard of any before.

joekster
August 15th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Well, you could do a scsi to scsi raid 5... There were several internal and external options available.

Unknown_K
August 15th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Tons of EISA RAID cards out there, just not many if any for ISA.

Chuck(G)
August 15th, 2011, 07:34 PM
Take a look at the DPT SmartRAID line (acquired by Adaptec). 16-bit ISA, EISA, PCI at least--I don't know if there's a VLB member of the line.