PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! What is the best product for cooling a RAM?

hang19840324
August 19th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Hey guys, Iíve got a problem with using my RAM Ö I used the thermal tape to attach my heatsink on it yet itís still very hot. Sigh Ö seems like my cooler doesnít cool down the RAM properly. My card was almost ruined when I tried to remove the heatsink. Please help !!! Is there something like a thermal pad that can resolve this problem?

Chuck(G)
August 19th, 2011, 10:18 AM
What kind of RAM are you using--and are you operating it with the correct voltages? Are you trying to overclock? (I will never buy a CPU or RAM from a habitual overclocker, BTW).

I'm assuming this is FPM, SDRAM or EDO, since you posted in the "Vintage Computer Hardware" section. DDR3 is certainly not "vintage".

lutiana
August 19th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I'll bet you a dollar this is SPAM.

But in case it is not, there may be something wrong with your RAM since older RAM (FPM, SDRAM or EDO) should not get hot enough to need a heat sink.

DOS lives on!!
August 19th, 2011, 11:40 AM
Apply some knowledge of the concept, "SPAMMING IS BAD!!," and some thermal paste in between the heatsink and RAM.

Chuck(G)
August 19th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Yes, that was my guess, but I thought I'd respond anyway. Call me a sucker, but it was posted in a somewhat appropriate topic area, so it was probably done by a human. The handle for the poster should have been a tipoff.

hang19840324
August 22nd, 2011, 08:49 PM
Now i am using the AMD HD 6970 with a non-stock cooler. I know the fan can solve my problem, but i am still looking for a product that can attach my heatsink on the the VGA RAM but not very sticky, because someone said when they are removing the heatsink, the RAM will peel off together, sound easy to damage my VGA board

Chuck(G)
August 22nd, 2011, 09:31 PM
It's spam, just google the handle.

pearce_jj
August 22nd, 2011, 11:23 PM
seems so... but where's the payload?

mbbrutman
August 23rd, 2011, 05:21 AM
It is spam. It was easy to predict that it would be spam:

Strange usage of technical terms: "a RAM" instead of memory, SIMMs, DIMMs, etc.
Vintage machines don't need their memory cooled
New user with first post
Machine not identified; nothing that indicates what their interest in the machine or the hobby is

I would suggest that people resist the urge to be the first, most helpful posters and let suspicious threads sit for a bit. Moderators are more likely to delete spam before people start replying to it. Trying to be helpful is admirable, but a little filtering would go a long way.

Mike

pearce_jj
August 24th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Yes indeed! Well I have to hand it to them for the ingenuity.

Tor
August 24th, 2011, 02:36 AM
These ping-pong setups are used (same accounts) elsewhere on the net.

If IPV6 just had included slapping-faces-over-TCP or hit-spammer in the protocol I'm sure the changeover from IPV4 had been _much_ faster..

-Tor
p.s. A moderator should really delete this thread, because the point of it (from the spammer's point of view) is to get google hits that will lead to that link.

mbbrutman
August 24th, 2011, 05:14 AM
I'm leaving the thread for a few days to remind people how spammers work. The first post in this thread is a classic example.