PDA

View Full Version : VESA 486 vs PCI Pentium for DOS gaming

GottaLottaStuff
August 19th, 2011, 05:29 PM
What's the big deal with VESA 486 PCs to play DOS games? How are they better than a Pentium with PCI, or so much better that a 486 Gateway is $200 and a Pentium Aptiva is $20?

Chuck(G)
August 19th, 2011, 05:38 PM
VLB is 80486-specific and therefore rarer and the sellers therefore think it's more valuable.

Good thing that we don't treat diseases the same way; we'd have a cure for Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, while people would be dying by the millions of measles.

Unknown_K
August 19th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Depends on the games, the early FPS games play better on a Pentium. 486 systems tended to have turbo buttons that reduced the CPU speed greatly to play older DOS games that either crashed on a pentium or ran way too fast to be playable. DOS games covers a VERY long period of time, from CGA games to the first 3D video games.

Some people like having the best hardware of the time to play games of that time period (others just use DOSBox on a new machine).

I have machines of all generation to play games on, but thats just me.

luckybob
August 19th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Depends on the games, the early FPS games play better on a Pentium. 486 systems tended to have turbo buttons that reduced the CPU speed greatly to play older DOS games that either crashed on a Pentium or ran way too fast to be playable. DOS games covers a VERY long period of time, from CGA games to the first 3D video games.

Some people like having the best hardware of the time to play games of that time period (others just use DOSBox on a new machine).

I have machines of all generation to play games on, but that's just me.

I'm one of those people as well. The games just seem better on a REAL computer rather than simulating dos. There were Pentium computers with VESA slots, they tend to be quite rare. I have a computer for every generation of games. 386 for early dos, a Pentium 2 for late dos and windows, a slot Athlon for the voodoo 2 era, a dual 2800 Athlon for the quake 3 era... Ironically, I think I have more fun collecting and building a perfect system than playing on it. Except for my dual Athlon. star trek voyager is FUN to play on a voodoo 5. (its a Q3 port) I have a high end 486 in the works as well as plans for a "maxed out" 286 build. ^.^

dan87951
September 12th, 2011, 06:52 PM
A lot of the games I grew up with in the mid 90's to late 90s don't play well on 486's but if there selling for that much I might put mine up for sale (sucka)! :)

I have a few home built super 7 setups that I use for gaming which work out well for pre 97 games. 97+-00 need P2 muscle to play maxed out. Redneck Rampage is probably the most FPU intensive game I have played in that era. It really gave my Pentium 200 (non mmx) a workout but ran smooth. I don't think my winchip c6-200 would run this game quite as well.