PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Computer Fad

CaptainCommodore
March 5th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Anyone notice the skyrocketing prices on eBay for vintage computers/games? Finally, just like in Hollywood, the game developers out there have run out of ideas, and have started re-releasing old stuff. What does that mean for us? Higher prices. Because people who never even had a C64 are buying one because the plug'n'play isn't "keeping it real". I'm so pissed at this. One day it starts with an innocent re-release of the Megaman games, now theres a Commodore plug'n'play! Emulation program-downloads are at an all time high. I went to a NAVA (North Atlantic Videogame Afficianados) meeting, and there were 12 year olds there talking about Atari games. I hate this whole new "vintage is where its at!" attitude. When will people just start buying the new crap again so us collectors can get back to getting 5 1/4 copies of games for pennies a piece?
-Cap'n Commodore

carlsson
March 6th, 2006, 05:39 AM
Do people really try to seek out the old, part incompatible stuff? I get the feeling that when the industry tries nostalgia, they only get bad reviews and people laugh at what kind of crap they're trying to get away with. Besides, I'm all for people buy the old systems and use it, rather than collect on a shelf just in case only one functioning system will be left in 50 years - to me the typical hard-core collector attitude.

Terry Yager
March 6th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Do people really try to seek out the old, part incompatible stuff? I get the feeling that when the industry tries nostalgia, they only get bad reviews and people laugh at what kind of crap they're trying to get away with. Besides, I'm all for people buy the old systems and use it, rather than collect on a shelf just in case only one functioning system will be left in 50 years - to me the typical hard-core collector attitude.

I do. I specifically look for vintage stuff selling in my price range. I don't necessarily let 'em sit around collecting dust & cobwebs tho, I play with my toys frequently. Today, f'rinstance, I've played with my Epson HX-20, Epson PX-8, Intel SDK-85, Toshiba Libretto 50CT, and the computer I'm typing on right now, the Fujitsu Point 1600 (Pentium 166MMX). I have plans to pick up another couple before the day is done (haven't fired-up Agnes in a while).

--T

carlsson
March 6th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Yes, but I doubt Captain Commodore referred to people like you, me or the other members of this forum, as we're well aware of the vintage computers since many years and didn't get a sudden trigger because of a re-release. Actually, an uninspired or even poor remake may make me lose interest rather than increase it. I read positive reviews on the most recent Megaman, but that is for the portable PSP, which to me is some low end of the gaming market. Those old games may not contain enough elements to improve on to make a full game for the "desktop" video games, or the game designers are locked onto a few types of games and think radically different types of games with perhaps simpler visual concepts are doomed to become budget releases within the same year if they made them for Xbox2/PS3/Revolution etc.

CaptainCommodore
March 6th, 2006, 05:39 PM
First of all, good call on the PSP. That thing is a brick. I hate it. Anywho, I mean like there are people out there buying computers and putting them on their shelves and never getting into it, just cause everything vintage is popular again. I probably use my Commodore as much as my PowerBook, if not more. Its a shame dust-collectors are driving up prices for people like us.

If you guys are into the new games as well as the old, I'd be more than happy to start ranting about that stuff too.
-Cap'n Commodore

DimensionDude
March 6th, 2006, 06:13 PM
There's an annual retro-gaming exhibition in Tulsa, OK that I make an effort to attend. It's rather humorous to watch the kids try to play some of the old games that require actual coordination rather than just the slamming of buttons.

Got my Wing Commander II autographed last year by one of the artists and the guys that did the music. Sold a few PC games (all of them in their boxes, most of them had 5.25 inch floppies) for $1 each. Now you're telling me that these games are worth a few bucks? Sigh, that's usually the way it works for me.

Kent

Mad-Mike
March 7th, 2006, 04:18 PM
For 20-somethings like me it's more or less to have the machines we had when we were wee one's, plus we're due for the retro 80's anyway, we passed the 70's around 97' or so, before that it was the 60's during the grunge era, and the 80's had a fifties and 40's period in it. Everything is cyclic.....

As with prices, I hate it myself actually, and it's even more irritating to think that in a few years we're going to have little snotty kids talking about "don't put that card in your IBM 5160 XT, it'll hurt the collectors value, leave the dust where it is" which is so prevailent in another collector fad that I'm much more knowledgable in, GUITARS. For example, every time I get on some message boards for the Fender Jaguar, some 16 year old kid wants to permanently alter his guitar for it to be just like Kurt Cobain's, then the other kids who like em' stock jump him for it and tell him to buy a Les Paul.

I'd love to see the PC manufacturers make limited edition "retro" PC's and the like, that's what I'D like to see out ofthe retro-fad. THings like AMD Athlon 64's in IBM PC AT 5170 cases and or the Compaq Deskpro 886. Alienware making cool looking 80's like whitebox clones, and things like all those Commodore 64 add-in parts for modern PC's to get dual floppies working and such.

I actually envy todays youth with this retro fad, I was into things like this in the 90's and it got me into tons of trouble with my peers in school. I was into the 80's before it was cool to be into the 80's. In another way, it's just littered the population with posers too....you take the good with the bad I guess.

carlsson
March 8th, 2006, 01:57 PM
AMD Athlon 64's in IBM PC AT 5170 cases
As I wrote in that ITX thread, I'm quite sure some case manufacturer designed new ATX cases just a few years ago, borrowing heavily on the IBM PC/XT/AT designs. Chieftec maybe?