PDA

View Full Version : Routing IP Over AppleTalk

AppleIIfan
August 24th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Its been ages since ive routed TCP/IP over AppleTalk..

I spent the better part of the night trying to get my MacIP Gateway up and running

So far this is how my network is set up

---LocalTalk/PhoneNet Segment---
--AsanteTalk Bridge--
--Asante 10BT Hub
---Mac LC III Running MacIP Gateway connected via ethernet

Im stumped as how to get it to work.. I got the MacIP gateway giving my Mac SE an IP address, but it cannot see the outside world.

What should I set the DNS Servers as in MacTCP on the SE.

Thanks

njroadfan
August 25th, 2011, 05:18 PM
The Mac itself should be connected to both Localtalk and Ethernet and running IPNetRouter or something similar. I could have sworn IPNetRouter for Classic was made free at one point, but I can't find any info to confirm that. Which software package are you currently running? Apple's free Localtalk Bridge will work too, but it won't route TCP/IP. Your other option is to use something like a Kinetics/Shiva Fastpath or Cayman Systems Gatorbox, both of which can route MacIP over Localtalk.

AppleIIfan
August 25th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Looks like I got it up and running.. The AsanteTalk was the problem.. The LC III is running IPNetRouter68k and LocalTalk bridge, Its happily routing IP packets now.. Soon to be running MacHTTP and then she will be a fully functional server. Its nice to be able to get on the internet from any of my compact macs other then the 512k and 128k