PDA

View Full Version : Getting Toshiba Satellite 110cs on the internet?

Lewb
September 3rd, 2011, 05:58 AM
Hello, recently got a toshiba 110cs with 16mb of RAM and windows 95 for 99p in perfect working order lol was wondering how would i go about getting internet on it as it has no usb ports or Ethernet or anything it has PCMCIA card slot tho had a look around on google an apparently it needs a 16 bit card tho which seem to be hard to come by but when i look on the laptop under system it says (PC Cards (PCMCIA): 32 bit ? so not too sure could someone tell me which pc card i would need wireless or Ethernet doesn't really matter. Thanks in advanced.

Ole Juul
September 3rd, 2011, 01:41 PM
Hello, recently got a toshiba 110cs with 16mb of RAM and windows 95 for 99p in perfect working order lol was wondering how would i go about getting internet on it as it has no usb ports or Ethernet or anything it has PCMCIA card slot tho had a look around on google an apparently it needs a 16 bit card tho which seem to be hard to come by but when i look on the laptop under system it says (PC Cards (PCMCIA): 32 bit ? so not too sure could someone tell me which pc card i would need wireless or Ethernet doesn't really matter. Thanks in advanced.

Here's the Toshiba Europe (http://www.toshiba-europe.com/computers/products/notebooks/satellite110cs/index.shtm) page in case you haven't found it already. It says "The 2 PC Card slots (PCMCIA) take 2 Type II or 1 Type III PC Cards."

It's not that hard to find 16 bit pcmcia cards, it's just that the major suppliers don't have them any more. I suggest Ethernet instead of wireless because it is much simpler and always works - besides then there are more cards to choose from.

Unknown_K
September 3rd, 2011, 02:02 PM
PCMCIA is the 16 bit version Cardbus was the 32bit version (has the gold strip with bumps on the end).

NathanAllan
September 3rd, 2011, 09:30 PM
With today's net, Windows 95 is really not that workable, I've tried it. But Linux on a machine like that works great. Yes, agreed with above, you will need an ethernt card for your laptop, forget dial-up to do anything graphical. Java and Flash are proc-wasters, too.

I would try Linux with a 3Com card; 3Com's are easy to get and a snap to set up.