PDA

View Full Version : Etherlink III Locks Up 2159

lyonadmiral
September 6th, 2011, 02:39 PM
I'm trying to diagnose what on an Aptiva 2159 would cause the system to lock up hard when a 3Com Etherlink III is installed in the system.

I've reset the BIOS to default settings and even ran the recovery disk with the Etherlink III installed.

During the recovery setup process, the system locks up after the installation of the networking stack files.

Other ideas?

MaTel
September 6th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I'm trying to diagnose what on an Aptiva 2159 would cause the system to lock up hard when a 3Com Etherlink III is installed in the system.

I've reset the BIOS to default settings and even ran the recovery disk with the Etherlink III installed.

During the recovery setup process, the system locks up after the installation of the networking stack files.

Other ideas?

Is it a Version with BNC-Connector? If the nic is not connected to a network you have to terminate the BNC-Port with a T-Connector and two Terminators.

mbbrutman
September 6th, 2011, 04:41 PM
The normal cause of a lockup is an IRQ or port conflict. I don't think the card does DMA so that is not going to be an issue.

What OS are you running, and what exactly are the networking stack files that you speak of?

lyonadmiral
September 6th, 2011, 07:27 PM
It's the stock Windows 95 OSR2 that is preloaded on the machine. The networking stack files are just the drivers and VXD's that Windows loads to interface and use the card.

FishFinger
September 7th, 2011, 02:07 AM
It could be a conflict - either an IRQ or I/O address.

Try running the DOS config program for the card and changing the IRQ and base address.

modem7
September 7th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Refer to the third page of http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/lpv06770.pdf
You may need to exclude the card's IRQ from use by Plug-and-Play.