PDA

View Full Version : Help Identifying a D-Link Network Card.

DOS lives on!!
September 24th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I can't seem to find any model numbers on this card. It does say that it was made around 1992. Anyone have any ideas?

mbbrutman
September 24th, 2011, 06:35 PM
The IBM part number shows it is an Ethernet card. Getting a clearer picture of the large ASIC so that we can read the writing on it will help us identify the drivers.

Mike

mbbrutman
September 24th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Even better .. It's an Ethernet card for a PS/Valuepoint machine.

Drivers are here: http://www.mmnt.net/db/0/3/ftp.oldskool.org/pub/IBM_PC_BBS/network/ (look for vpether)

Mike

DOS lives on!!
September 25th, 2011, 03:57 AM
I found it in my Eduquest, so it was made for IBM. I'll try the drivers.

DOS lives on!!
September 26th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I've got the drivers installed for the card, and it works great. But problems do come. Whenever I start the Eduquest, it makes that sad sond and throws up a 10635 error code. I ran the diagnostics for the card, and it says,

Ethernet adapter error.
Error code............10635
Network adapter error,
have the system unit serviced.
I/O Address...........800

What's wrong with the card? It didn't do this before I installed the drivers.

modem7
September 26th, 2011, 02:21 PM
What's wrong with the card? It didn't do this before I installed the drivers.
In some network cards that have a RAM buffer, I've found that the RAM doesn't get enabled until the driver is loaded.
Maybe your card is in that category, and you are seeing the result of a RAM conflict of some sort.

DOS lives on!!
September 26th, 2011, 02:34 PM
How would I go about changing those setting, if there is a conflict.

DOS lives on!!
October 3rd, 2011, 05:57 PM
The settings I found that are changeable are the I/O Address, IRQ Interrupt Level, ROM Address, and Media type. Which one of these may cause a conflict?

modem7
October 5th, 2011, 04:57 PM
The settings I found that are changeable are the I/O Address, IRQ Interrupt Level, ROM Address, and Media type. Which one of these may cause a conflict?
The first three, however I doubt that an IRQ conflict could be detected by card's diagnostic software.

Because RAM can conflict as well, the fact that you could not find an option to change the RAM base address, suggests that the card has no RAM.

The diagnostic software is displaying, "I/O Address...........800". Maybe the diagnostic software can't find the card at that address (a base address). Maybe the diagnostic software finds the card at 800, but the card then fails its self test.

Sometimes I've seen old network cards fail their diagnostic test because the card wasn't physically connected to a network, but the error of "Network adapter error, have the system unit serviced." suggests that that is not the cause.

DOS lives on!!
October 5th, 2011, 05:06 PM
The card is connected to the network. The card does work fine, in DOS and WFW 3.11. It's just on the POST screen when it produces that error.

modem7
October 5th, 2011, 06:19 PM
The card is connected to the network. The card does work fine, in DOS and WFW 3.11. It's just on the POST screen when it produces that error.
Actually, the 10635 error occurs two times:
1. On POST screen, or
2. When the diagnostics are run.

If the card has a RAM buffer (cache), a failure of part of the RAM, or a RAM conflict could explain the situation. I could see the self test (or POST test) detecting a RAM related problem, then displaying the 10635 error, then disabling the card's RAM. The card still works, but at reduced performance (due to no cache). But as I wrote earlier, because you can not find an option to change the RAM base address, that suggests that the card has no RAM.

DOS lives on!!
October 6th, 2011, 03:37 AM
It's a D-Link card, but I'm using the diagnostic program (off the Eduquest diag disk) for the IBM PS Valuepoint Ethernet Adapter. Mbbrutman provided the drivers for the Valuepoint adapter, but would the specific D-Link drivers for this card cure the problem? And yes, 10635 also occurrs n the diagnostics, just forgot to mention that.

modem7
October 6th, 2011, 01:59 PM
but would the specific D-Link drivers for this card cure the problem?
Trying them won't hurt.
Hopefully there is an FCC ID on the card to help you quickly determine the D-Link part number.

DOS lives on!!
October 9th, 2011, 05:05 PM
I figured out how to cure the problem! The network cord must be unplugged during POST, and then can be plugged back in after the POST. Apparently when the cord is plugged in, it causes some background activity that causes a conflict. Thus, the 10635 error comes up.