PDA

View Full Version : Trident ISA card sometimes displays only B & W (no color)

barney
September 27th, 2011, 06:18 AM
Here is a strange thing I see happening from time to time on my Wang 286 system. Sometimes when I power up, my video card only displayes Black and white (no color). This will continue even if I press CTRL + ALT + DEL or "reset". The only way to make it come back color is to completely power down and back up again.

Is this a compatibility problem or maybe a firmware issue. If anybody has any info about this please let me know. Thanks.

Jorg
September 27th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Have you tried rattling the connector?

nestor
September 27th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Is this a compatibility problem or maybe a firmware issue. If anybody has any info about this please let me know. Thanks.

I have the same issue using Trident VGA / VLB graphics cards with modern SVGA monitors. I think the problem is that some pins in the connector were used to select color / b&w in the past, but later EDID appeared and the same pins are used to provide it. So the problem is that Trident cards doesn't understand EDID codes and detects the monitor as B&W randomly.

Chuck(G)
September 27th, 2011, 08:53 AM
I have the same issue using Trident VGA / VLB graphics cards with modern SVGA monitors. I think the problem is that some pins in the connector were used to select color / b&w in the past, but later EDID appeared and the same pins are used to provide it. So the problem is that Trident cards doesn't understand EDID codes and detects the monitor as B&W randomly.

Exactly. If you're interested in modding the connector (or creating your own adapter cable, I can probably find the information on it. Before EDID, there were alternate schemes for determining monitor capability. Probably the safest thing is to just leave the Monitor ID pins open.

barney
September 27th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm not going to worry about it too much. I have a few other VGA cards to choose from. Actually, I'm using a Tseng Diamond Speedstar and it works flawlessly. I'll just stick with that.