PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Optimum Online!

USSEnterprise
March 19th, 2006, 07:26 PM
For the past four days, my broadband has been horrible. I get it through Optimum Online. At present, according to the CNET test, I'm running at the equivalency of a 28.8k modem. I should be getting at least 1.2mbps. Dialing up through NetZero is faster. Could this be a cable modem problem? Its about 5 years old, and according to the onboard computer, the signal strength is very high.

Vlad
March 19th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Usually when something like that happens, its a routing problem, or the modem is ready for its next life. (poor thing) Try swapping the modem with a friends and see if that makes a difference. If the modem is too close to something else like your tower or something, it could be getting Electormagnetic Interference. (EMI) Or your ISP is having problems. Try reseting your router if you have one, and reset the modem. Maybe it just needs a rest. Your ISP could have a ATM switch thats not working right. If trying a different modem doesint help, call em up and ask what the deal is. Maybe they have a noisy switch.

-V

(ATM = Asynchronous Transfer Mode, a Wide band switching method)

ahm
March 20th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Perhaps my signature can be of assistance...

CP/M User
March 20th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Sounds more like a rant to me!! ;-)

Terry Yager
March 20th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Perhaps my signature can be of assistance...

Yeah, when I finally got around to calling Charter's 'Tech Support' last week, after two days of frustration, all the 'techie' could say was, "Wow! Did you know that your cable modem has been reset 23 times in the past 24 hours?"

--T