PDA

View Full Version : Is it bad to mount a HARD DRIVE SIDEWAYS??

barney
October 13th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I have heard mixed results / opinions but I have never asked anybody here. Is it ok to mount a hard drive sideways? Does it shorten the life of the hard drive? Are there any issues that might result from doing this?

Barney

Chuck(G)
October 13th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Depends on the drive. Check the OEM manual for your particular drive.

pearce_jj
October 14th, 2011, 12:41 AM
As said, some have a particular orientation that is not recommended. For drives without embedded servo (i.e. MFM/RLL) the drive must be low-level formatted in the orientation in which it will be used.

modem7
October 14th, 2011, 02:30 PM
As said, some have a particular orientation that is not recommended.
And for some, "prohibited" is the word used.

barney
October 24th, 2011, 04:59 AM
I went ahead gave it a try. It didn't work out too good. My mind was uneasy the whole time.....I kept thinking to myself over and over, "Man, I hope my drive is ok. I hope my drive doesn't die". I was going crazy, so I put it back Horizontal. Now can sleep better.

Chuck(G)
October 24th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Again, it depends. There are plenty of systems with older 5.25" hard drives that were mounted vertically (I've got two here that were manufactured in 1982 and they're fine). When in doubt, consult the manufacturer's documentation. I remember, for example, that the old IMI voice-coil (4MB?) drives couldn't function when the horizontal mounting was more than about 10 degrees off level.