View Full Version : Floppy drive XT converter board.

October 14th, 2011, 05:31 PM
Does somebody knows how does little convertor cards called by name?

In the PC XT time you could put that thing on the *IDE* pins and converted it to the old style floppy drive interface connector with the gold pin..
Does anybody knows where i can get them??

October 14th, 2011, 05:57 PM
The connector that crimps onto a ribbon cable for a 5.25" floppy drive is called an "IDC edge connector":


The connector that crimps onto a ribbon cable for a 3.5" floppy drive is called an "IDC female header":


If you have a header on your floppy controller, then the simplest thing to do is get a universal floppy cable (http://www.startech.com/Cables/Drive/IDE/32in-Universal-Floppy-Drive-Cable-Ribbon-Cable~FDAT) that has connectors for both.

You'll also need a power cable adapter (http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=210252106&sellerid=14387982).

(The above sites are by no means the only ones offering those products)

October 14th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I believe what you want is a female pin header to male card edge adapter. You'd like to connect something like a 3 1/2 floppy drive to the drive controller cable in an XT computer.

I have these and, as chuck says, you can also use a 5-headed floppy drive cable and just use the appropriate connector for the drive position.

I have these as well.

October 15th, 2011, 03:54 AM
Yes druid6900 iam looking for those little convertor board so you can convert from IDC famale header to the edge connector..

I need it because i dont have enough cable length to connect it to both 1.2mb 5.25 inch floppy drive and the 1.44mb floppy drive on one cable..

So when i put the cable first on the edge connector it wont fitt anymore on the IDC male connector.. So then i need to use the other edge connector to.. So that why i need that convertor board.
So i can use the last edge connector on the floppy cable.