PDA

View Full Version : Two Mystery 8-bit ISA cards...

Super-Slasher
August 7th, 2003, 05:31 PM
While doing some scrounging and collecting old cards, I've come across two cards that are not like any I have encountered yet.

Both cards seem to be full-size ISA cards, yet in comparison with other full-size ISA cards, they are both about 1 inch taller and longer. One card is a keyboard I/O with a built on 8088 CPU. The other is a floppy disk/serial I/O board. I'll describe the boards below to my best ability, but if pictures are wanted that can be arranged.

FLOPPY/SERIAL BOARD

Western Digital chipset
85-3262-01 101086
FLOPPY/SERIAL BRD

KEYBOARD/CPU BOARD

AMD P8088-2 CPU Intel 1978
85-3330-01 032387
8/5 MHZ CPU BOARD
CPU, ROM, RAM, INT, DSK, RDY LED lights along top left edge of board

Any info greatly appreciated, as I can most likely track down the system these cards came from, as well as other cards that were in it.

Erik
August 7th, 2003, 06:55 PM
If you can post pictures that would help too.

If the date on the processor is any indication, they have no way of being ISA cards. I'm not familiar with other card types with that basic form-factor, but. . .

Erik

Super-Slasher
August 8th, 2003, 11:44 AM
http://mikeselowebpage.tripod.com/temp/mysterycards.txt

The bottom one is the CPU card. You can see the red LED lights at the top left area of the card.

I wonder what kind of system these went into.

Terry Yager
August 9th, 2003, 11:31 AM
Could they have come from a Zenith system? They used similar cards.

--T

MattCarp
September 5th, 2003, 10:03 PM
The dates listed were dates on a couple chips on the cards. 1978 was the year Intel copyrighted design elements in the 8088, so that's why the 1978 appears on the chip.

I think the Zenith guess is a good one. The CPU card could be from some PC clone that put the motherboard on an ISA card and plugged into an ISA backplane.

ersoucy
May 31st, 2006, 01:55 PM
The boards that you are refering too are indeed zenith boards out of a ZDH-1211-DE computer. one of the first dos machines to include a harddrive. the video controller should also have a floppy controller integrated in it and there should also have been a ibm bus hard drive controller out of the same computer. It just so happens that i found this forum by searching msn for the cpu boards number after i just now pulled the board out of my uncles old computer.