PDA

View Full Version : Power Mac 5500/250 (all-in-one) not recognizing Hard drive...

BGoins12
October 25th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Not sure why... it worked just fine a few months ago. Tried 3 different drives with no luck. Tried both Master and Cable Select, no change. Has a good PRAM battery (I think).

*sniff sniff*.... Does this mean my 5500 is dying? :( Or would the PRAM battery totally make it disregard a drive? It boots up the OS 8.5 Install CD just fine.

This problem is fixed... now to try and solve my other problem.... This has happened for a few years now on this system. The screen glitches up and has artifacts. The computer has never locked up, just glitches up on the screen.

BGoins12
October 25th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Hmph... well... it did recognize an external SCSI HD. Just plugged one in and it picked it right up, but not the internal IDE one. :???:

RWallmow
October 25th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Hmph... well... it did recognize an external SCSI HD. Just plugged one in and it picked it right up, but not the internal IDE one. :???:
Well, I know these had similar size barriers as PCs, I want to say some EARLY IDE Macs had 8gb limits, and later ones (like my beige G3) have 32gb IDE limits. So be sure the drive is not too big for the computer to see.

Also to detect and partition/format a NON-Apple IDE drive (just like NON-Apple SCSI ones) you will need to use a hacked copy of the Drive Setup program.

I should note in my G3 I am using an internal 73gb SCSI drive because the IDE has the 32gb limit, and I had it laying around so it was cheaper than buying a PCI IDE card that gets past the 32gb limit.

BGoins12
October 25th, 2011, 07:56 AM
It's the original 2.1GB Western Digital drive.

I got it fixed anyways... I forgot that the PM 5500 requires that the drive needs all the jumpers removed. Pulled the jumper and all is well. :blush: