PDA

View Full Version : Mac SE/30 no sound

Chromedome45
October 28th, 2011, 03:49 AM
Title says it all. I have no startup sound at all. Volume control in control panel maxed out. I did check the speaker wire and it is connected to the mainboard. Maybe speaker?

RWallmow
October 28th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Bad Capacitors on the system board, common and fixable with a board recap, I would say 99.9% of SE/30, Classic's, Classic II's will all do this until they get recapped, Classics will also do the checkerboard screen with bad caps.

olePigeon
October 28th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I agree with RWallmow. Most likely bad capacitors. I had an LC that had screeching noises out of its speakers and intermittent floppy d, and after I recapped it, it's perfect. It's easier than you think. I'm new to soldering and I have shaky hands, but even I was able to fix my LC after a few tries.

Chromedome45
October 28th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Caps! that's kinda what I figured. I know how to replace and have done before. Just don't really want to do again.

RWallmow
October 28th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Caps! that's kinda what I figured. I know how to replace and have done before. Just don't really want to do again.
Sadly it seems to be a common ailment on our older, beloved Macs of the late 80's/early 90's. They must have used some inferior caps, because I have lots of other Computers and electronics from that time period that DON'T have failing caps. (EDIT: I know over a long enough time frame all electrolytic caps will eventually fail, but these seem premature).

Probably something like the wave of poorly formulated (trying to clone established manufacturers process) junk Chinese caps that hit the PC industry in about 2002-4ish really hard, lots of computers failing with blown caps, wasn't just budget makers, the big ones like HP, Compaq, Dell, and IBM fell victim to that one.

olePigeon
October 28th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Try and find compatible tantalum capacitors, it should help prevent future disasters.

Chromedome45
October 28th, 2011, 04:20 PM
I remember that one of the more popular motherboards at that time was the Abit BP6 dual Celeron board. It had a bunch bad caps in them too. Just dried out prematurely. Also the Mitsubishi drives used in the IBM PS/2 series of computers had Bad Tants also.

Chromedome45
October 29th, 2011, 04:07 AM
Update: I have sound coming out the speaker jack on the back of the SE. So most likely the board and Caps are good.
Just that to get at the internal speaker and test could be a major teardown effort. :???:

AppleIIfan
October 29th, 2011, 06:12 AM
Oh its not that bad... 4 T-15 Screws, 2 in the top handle, youll need a long driver for that. hook a known good speaker up to the connection on the logic board and you should be set, Once you get the old speaker out of the front bezel its kind of a pita put another one back in, so just relocate it. Thats what ive done in the past.

Or just find yourself a set of AppleDesign Speakers and put it next to it and call it good

RWallmow
October 29th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Update: I have sound coming out the speaker jack on the back of the SE. So most likely the board and Caps are good.
Just that to get at the internal speaker and test could be a major teardown effort. :???:
That's not unheard of with bad caps, you will get faint low volume sounds on external jack, I am still betting caps with how insanely common it is on the SE/30's

Chromedome45
October 31st, 2011, 05:08 PM
Tested speaker this morning and it was good. This evening I replaced the Tantulum capcitors near the "ASC". I'm guessing that means Apple Sound Chip? Well anyway I now have sound. I used regular radial leaded 16v 47uF capacitors. Not Surface mount. Kept them nice and short. Good to hear noise finally coming out of it.

BGoins12
October 31st, 2011, 05:44 PM
Tested speaker this morning and it was good. This evening I replaced the Tantulum capcitors near the "ASC". I'm guessing that means Apple Sound Chip? Well anyway I now have sound. I used regular radial leaded 16v 47uF capacitors. Not Surface mount. Kept them nice and short. Good to hear noise finally coming out of it.

Wanna replace mine on my Mac Classic?? No joke... I can't find anyone to do it, and I'm afraid to tackle it myself.

Compgeke
October 31st, 2011, 09:22 PM
...I'm afraid to tackle it myself.

Don't worry, I'm afraid of opening these old macs also, it's knowing someone who got severely injured from an improperly discharged CRT.

BGoins12
November 1st, 2011, 03:00 AM
Oh, I don't have a problem with opening the computer, just replacing the capacitors. Mainly because I know people want HUGE money for Mac Classic (Or any related B&W Mac) parts.

And I know what it's like to be zapped by a CRT... I started messing with computers in late 1994/early '95 when I was 6 years old. I got zapped when I was 8.

Chromedome45
November 1st, 2011, 05:17 AM
Isn't your classic working? You show pics of it in another thread. Or is that a different Mac classic? Anyway I could try to do it. Let me know.

BGoins12
November 1st, 2011, 07:07 AM
It works, I just have no sound. With it hooked up to my big desktop speakers (turned all the way up), it eeks out a faint little ding. Plus the caps were clearly leaking. Luckily there's no board damage.

Chromedome45
November 1st, 2011, 07:14 AM
Mine also had nothing from the speaker. Line out was pretty strong. I think there are 4 capacitors around the sound chip. So would not be hard to replace. If you want to send your Mac I will try to fix it. Can't promise anything though. PM me with what you want to do.

Maverick1978
November 2nd, 2011, 06:40 AM

FWIW, this seems to be a common trait of several other electronic systems from the late 80's and early 90's. I've heard of the Mac SE/30 / Classic line doing this, and I know that in the console gaming world, nearly every NEC/JVC/Hudson console suffers the exact same symptoms: line-out/headphone jack sound is good, but speaker sound is bad. This affected the NEC Turbo Duo, Turbo Grafx 16, PCEngine (and its many variants), Turbo Graphics GT, and Turbo Graphics Express. In addition, on the GT and Express portable systems, bad caps would also cause the video to not "make it" to the display screen, so you'd end up with a black, back-lit screen with little to no sound from the speakers, but plainly heard through the headphone jacks.

Thanks to Frank, my Turbo Graphics Express is now working again, but I need to replace the caps in my Duo as well, as I know it's sound is markedly different than it used to be.