PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Game

pjungwir
October 30th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I've been trying to recall a game I played as a kid. I've tried searching all the online archives of old games and I haven't found it, so I thought I'd ask if anyone here recognized my description.

It had extremely fine, detailed graphics in white and cyan, maybe some magenta also. I would call it a platform adventure game, what nowadays folks calls metroidvania. But the display didn't scroll; you got to the next screen by walking to the edge.

You controlled a white human figure who walked around (with a pitter-patter of footsteps) in massive trees, on the ground, and maybe underground. I call still picture some of the small cyan leaves, and some of the jumps where the tree limbs were broken up. Most of the game seemed to be about exploring this extensive world. You could jump, and if you were falling you could start gliding. I think there was some way to climb vines and ladders. I remember one screen with a tall fancy gate or hedge, and to get over you had to find a suitable screen above to leap off a branch and start gliding. Whenever you "died" you'd appear back at your house with a message that someone found you. One way to "die" was to fall into the water. I think you could get hungry, too, and there was food you could obtain (buy?). Bread was called "pan" and there was something else like "lapin" (rabbit?).

I'm afraid I have no idea what the plot was, or what you were trying to accomplish. The fun was really in the exploration. I don't recall much action. There were other people you could talk to, and I think there might have been doors into shops or one-room screens. I don't remember enemies or shooting. Actually, I think there might have been guards who could catch you and send you home.

Am I ringing any bells? I'd love to remember what this game was, and find out if there is any way I can play it again.

Thanks,
Paul

NathanAllan
October 30th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Bread was called Pan? What computer did you play it on? What country? Falling then *gliding? I'm racking my brains, need more information, though. Also, welcome to the forums.

hargle
October 31st, 2011, 05:23 AM
The clues about side scrolling through trees and underground got me to think of this game:

Zeliard?
http://www.mobygames.com/game/zeliard/screenshots

Maverick1978
October 31st, 2011, 09:16 AM
I was thinking Zeliard as well up until the mention of gliding and food. Also, Zeliard was pure action/platforming once you were in the underground/cave sections.

Zeliard also looked great in CGA and Hercules, but IIRC it didn't use a Magenta pallette (then again, I think I played it on an amber monitor, so that could be my own faulty memory!)

Great Hierophant
October 31st, 2011, 09:25 AM
The game you describe is almost certainly Below the Root : http://www.mobygames.com/game/below-the-root. I once asked the same question of a friend of mine, once I mentioned the gliding he knew it instantly.

Zeliard scrolls in the dungeons, there isn't much in the way of tree hopping and there is plenty of action.

barythrin
October 31st, 2011, 09:38 AM
Some of it sounds similar to a Sierra Kings Quest type game or The Black Cauldron although I certainly don't recall any falling and gliding so probably not (and you'd most likely recall if there was a little pig following you around). Definitely let us know if you recall what type of computer it was though, that would change the results pretty drastically.

Maverick1978
October 31st, 2011, 11:34 AM
The game you describe is almost certainly Below the Root : http://www.mobygames.com/game/below-the-root. I once asked the same question of a friend of mine, once I mentioned the gliding he knew it instantly.

Zeliard scrolls in the dungeons, there isn't much in the way of tree hopping and there is plenty of action.

I should have thought of that! I used to play that game on my C64 all the time!

pjungwir
November 2nd, 2011, 11:42 AM
The game you describe is almost certainly Below the Root

That's it! And it turns out I can play it on DosBox. That was an amazing game. I'm surprised more people don't know/remember it. I see now it's from 1984, one year after King's Quest. I think it must have been pretty revolutionary for its time. There's not much of an intro, though, so it's hard to tell what you're supposed to do. I bet with just a little more upfront story that game would have been famous.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Great Hierophant
November 2nd, 2011, 06:50 PM
That's it! And it turns out I can play it on DosBox. That was an amazing game. I'm surprised more people don't know/remember it. I see now it's from 1984, one year after King's Quest. I think it must have been pretty revolutionary for its time. There's not much of an intro, though, so it's hard to tell what you're supposed to do. I bet with just a little more upfront story that game would have been famous.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

You're very welcome. I remember playing it as a kid on an Apple II. If you had the manual, I'm sure it would give an idea what you were supposed to do. The game constitutes the fourth part of the author's Green Sky Trilogy, so there is a true surfeit of upfront story if you read the books.