PDA

View Full Version : Help! XENIX 386 Help!

Slaughter
March 27th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Hey everyone. :P This is my first post and I must say I am ashamed. I am not much of a unix guy so I feel so inept. Anyways, my issue is with my computer systems at work. I am running a few Xenix computer systems for my old Linde Plasma/Router table. What I need to do is pull the some 10,000 odd files from it. What is my best route other than a tape drive? Is there a way I can hook the hard drives up to something newer or what can I do? I really don't know. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I may end up creating an armada of floppy disks if I have to. This is a lot of important data. Thanks in advance.

-Slaughter

Terry Yager
March 27th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Is the hard drive SCSI?

--T

Slaughter
March 27th, 2006, 09:44 AM
They are all IDE.

NathanAllan
March 27th, 2006, 11:48 AM
If all the drives with data on them are IDE then you should be able to get data from them in a newer machine. How many drives are we talking about? it might take some time.

Slaughter
March 27th, 2006, 11:58 AM
I tried throwing one in my current system here and it detected the drive pre os load but once windows loaded nothing. Different system? I dunno. I didn't have much time to play. I'm looking at 6 harddrives.

amedic
March 28th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Ya Windows, isnt going to be able to see the data, because it doesn't understand the filesystem. You using your favorite Linux distro to see if you can see the data, if you have to you can always use a LivecD or Grub to just copy the hdds to one of your partitions, or something.

Terry Yager
March 29th, 2006, 02:30 AM
There are programs that allow you to read data from a *nix filesystem and write them to M$ files.

--T

Slaughter
April 3rd, 2006, 06:00 AM
Any ideas as to what these programs might be called?

Slaughter
April 6th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Well, after many hours of continuous trial and error sessions, I have finally found a way. It may not be that fast but it works. Linux booting failed me unfortunately. But what I finally got to work was to load C-Kermit on Xenix and send the files via RS-232 to my windows machine using HyperTerminal on it's end. Tar and compress my files on the Xenix and send them over. Thanks for all the ideas!

-Slaughter