PDA

View Full Version : what does three beeps on an Amstrad PCW mean?

Gracie
March 28th, 2006, 09:24 AM
first hello, I am SO pleased to have found you as I have a number of 'vintage' machines and bits and pieces presently in my care and I don't doubt I will be back here when I get around to the Genie III, or the Omni Reader, or the Sinclair QL and its expansion ram, or the stack of TRS-80 literature I don't know what to do with, and do you 'do' Amigas as well? So many questions - but just at this moment I am asking advice about an Amstrad PCW 9512.

I connect it and the printer up and the machines screen lights up. I put a disk in and it will go brr...bbrrr...bbrrr.. for a bit, and the screen temporarily goes black with each brrr. Then I get the light screen back and the machine beeps three times. If I press space it will do it all again, or maybe just give me the three beeps.
I have tried it with a Locoscript disk in, I have tried a three key reset, which has no effect at all. I look in the book but see nothing about beep-codes. Can anyone advise me as to what might be wrong please?

I have to say I know nothing about Amstrads (yet) :D

Terry Yager
March 28th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Kewl! I used to have an Omni Reader too. I used to use it to scan-in BASIC programs from books & magazines into my Model 100. Sure saved a lot of typing.

As for the PCW, the weak point on the Amstrads is the 3" drive. It is belt-driven, and the belts tend to deteriorate. There are some places on daNet that sell new belts, if you find that to be the problem.

--T

Gracie
March 28th, 2006, 10:43 AM
um, you reckon that is what it is then Terry? Hmm, thank you :(

Terry Yager
March 28th, 2006, 10:58 AM
um, you reckon that is what it is then Terry? Hmm, thank you :(

I dunno for sure. I've never had one with a bad drive before (I've been lucky). I don't know how it would behave if it's unable to read the disk.

--T

Micom 2000
March 29th, 2006, 11:22 AM
According to the comp.sys.amstrad.8bit Faq sec.5.3.
it indicates no system disk in drive.

Lawrence