PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Scsi jaz drive on a mac plus/se/classic

collector
November 29th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I have an ultra scsi 2 gb jaz drive. Can this be used with an adapter on a mac plus, se, or classic?

Anonymous Freak
November 29th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Absolutely. If a disk is inserted at power-on, it will appear as a hard drive. If the drive is empty at boot time, you'll need Iomega Tools to use it as a removable-disk-drive. (Although I'm not certain if the versions of Iomega Tools that work with the Jaz 2 GB will work on a 68000 CPU, so you might be stuck in "hard drive mode" only. I know I've booted an SE from one before.)

barythrin
November 29th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Ditto on Amigas too. Pretty much shows up as a standard SCSI hard drive without any additional drivers other than file system if you wanted compatibility, otherwise I think you should be able to format it under the OS.

olePigeon
November 29th, 2011, 04:25 PM
You just need the Iomega extension. I've used it on System 7.1.1 without any issues. I don't know about earlier versions.

collector
November 29th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Need to find an adapter from ultra scsi to db25. Is that what the iomega extension is?

RWallmow
November 30th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Need to find an adapter from ultra scsi to db25. Is that what the iomega extension is?
Not at home to double check, but I want to say its just a mini 50pin on the Jaz drives, all you would need is a cable like this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-SCSI-DB25-Male-HPDB50-Male-Cable-/380146376409?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58827d5ed9). I may even have one you could have for shipping, I want to say I bought about 10 of them a few years back to get a bulk discount.

Gotta say Jaz drives are GREAT on old Macs, I have used them on Plus, SE, SE/30, and I even have an internal one in my Beige G3. If you have a SCSI card, they are also GREAT on Apple II machines.

Like others have said most SCSI enabled computers will see them as external hard drives without any extra drivers or specific OS support, but if you want "removable" disk support (IE being able to eject/diskswap without a reboot) you need to find drivers/"iomega tools" for the OS in question.

AppleIIfan
November 30th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Yup thats what it is Rwallmow.. I got a Jaz Drive that I need an AC Adapter for.. Would be nice to put that on the IIGS

RWallmow
November 30th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Yup thats what it is Rwallmow.. I got a Jaz Drive that I need an AC Adapter for.. Would be nice to put that on the IIGS
I have a bunch of Jaz drives and AC adapters, however I don't want to part with just an adapter, but I could certainly get you the pinouts on them if you wanted to try and build your own adapter, IIRC its a fairly standard mini-din plug on the end, shouldn't be too complex to wire up.

EDIT: @AppleIIfan: The Apple II SCSI card I traded you was tested with my 2GB JAZ drive ;-)

olePigeon
November 30th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Oops, sorry. No, it's a system software extension (goes in the Extensions folder) that allows you to use it as removable media. As others have pointed out, if you start the computer with the disk inserted, it'll show up as a regular HDD even without the extension installed.