PDA

View Full Version : Early to mid 1990's Mac's connecting to the internet

punchy71
December 5th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Can the Mac LC series, Quadra 605 and Performa 4x and 5x series be made to connect to the internet and if so how?

Thank you

Unknown_K
December 5th, 2011, 06:01 AM
You can use a serial port modem and connect using dialup, or an ethernet card using Open Transport and DHCP using a router with cable/dsl internet. No idea who still supports OS 7 and dialup these days (ISP).

RWallmow
December 5th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Yeah, plenty of LC PDS ethernet cards out there (the Quadra 605 and Performa 4xx uses a LCIII PDS slot for expansion). The later Performas (5xx) have the PDS slot as well as a COMM slot (specifically for modems and ethernet). I am assuming you meant Performa 4xx and 5xx as there were no 2 digit Performas.

tomasont
December 5th, 2011, 08:33 AM
You can also connect via LocalTalk, but you'll need some sort of gateway device. The gateway performs two functions: it converts LocalTalk to Ethernet and AppleTalk to TCP/IP. I'm using a Shiva FastPath V. You'll also need MacTCP on your Mac to encapsulate TCP inside AppleTalk.

Anonymous Freak
December 5th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Your two best bets are an Ethernet card (fairly easy to find, both LC PDS and Comm slot types,) or a SCSI-to-Ethernet adapter, such as an Asante EN/SC or DaynaPort SCSI/Link.

If you have a later Mac that has built-in Ethernet, you can get software that will act as a TCP/IP Ethernet-to-LocalTalk bridge. (Such as the discontinued Apple software "LocalTalk Bridge", or the still-available commercial software "IPNetRouter".) Or, as others mention, if you can find a hardware LocalTalk-to-Ethernet bridge, that might work. (Although be warned: many of the LT-to-Enet bridges *ONLY* translate AppleTalk for file sharing and printer sharing, many do NOT translate TCP/IP, so are useless for internet access.)

RWallmow
December 5th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Your two best bets are an Ethernet card (fairly easy to find, both LC PDS and Comm slot types,) or a SCSI-to-Ethernet adapter, such as an Asante EN/SC or DaynaPort SCSI/Link.
I wouldn't recommend a SCSI one for any of the Mac's he listed, purely because supply on those are short, and there's (relatively) good supply of internal PDS/COMM ethernet cards out there, would probably cost much more for a SCSI one anyways, but I guess if they've got one already or find a deal on one, its sure an option.

AppleIIfan
December 6th, 2011, 05:33 AM
I can snag you an LC PDS ethernet card for a whole 15 bucks shipped if you need one