PDA

View Full Version : Most produced 16-bit Mac of all?

punchy71
December 6th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Which model of 16-bit Mac was the most produced model of all?

Thank you

Anonymous Freak
December 6th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Which model of 16-bit Mac was the most produced model of all?

Thank you

First, there were no 16-bit Macs, even the 68000 CPU is 32-bit. But the early Macs (up until the IIci,) were limited to 24-bit memory addressing.

I don't have any concrete answers on number of systems, but the Macintosh Plus was the longest timespan of production. It started out as the high-end system, and ended life as the low-end system, produced for over four and a half years. Widely popular in schools (for its low cost later in its production life,) it was probably the highest-production-volume system of the entire 680x0 line, not just the 24-bit-addressing models.

If we include the "32-bit-clean" 680x0 models, the Macintosh LC *MIGHT* have exceeded the Plus, as it was created as the low-cost-color system and sold very widely to schools as well. (It was introduced the same day as the Plus' replacement as low-end-compact, the Macintosh Classic.)

commodorejohn
December 6th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Well, if one goes by external bus width, then any Macs that used the 68000 would count; I believe there were one or two low-cost models (the original LC, for example) that tied a 32-bit CPU to a 16-bit bus, as well. But I dunno about sales volume on any of them.