PDA

View Full Version : IIci cache card system won't boot

geoffm3
December 12th, 2011, 07:10 AM
I've been having a little bit more fun with the IIci now that I have an Asante ethernet card installed. Beats loading software onto it over ZTerm hands down.

Now, I'm back to trying to debug the cache card. When I first got the system, it would boot fine with the cache card, but it won't boot with it installed at all now. I have tried all the usual suspects besides recapping the card itself (there are two 22uF electrolytic caps on it). Curiously the reset/interrupt buttons on the front of the system will cause it to chime but it won't boot so it's apparently not completely dead when it is installed.

So far I've:

Replaced PRAM battery with fresh one.
Zapped PRAM.

Is there any other way to diagnose the card in circuit?

AppleIIfan
December 12th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Want a known good IIci Cache Card.. I got a dozen or so.. Ill send ya 2 of em for 15 bucks shipped

NeXT
December 12th, 2011, 08:19 AM
As hinted, the IIci cache cards seem to die a lot.

olePigeon
December 12th, 2011, 10:16 AM
What NeXT said. They do die often. A better use for the slot would be an 68040 accelerator if you can find one.

geoffm3
December 12th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Ahh so, I had no idea that this was a common malady.

A2Fan... might have to take you up on that offer. :)

geoffm3
December 19th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I recapped the cache card and reflowed some corroded solder joints on the sram chip next to one of the caps and no dice... still doesn't work. I used 33uF instead of 22uF caps, but since these are decoupling caps I imagine that should have no bearing at all. So, I guess I'm in the market for a replacement. :)

geoffm3
January 3rd, 2012, 03:49 PM
Update:

Thanks to A2Fan's kind offer above, I was able to get the IIci booting with a cache card installed. I do have a couple followup questions though: How long should it take for the IIci to boot with the cache card installed? It seems like it's a good 10-20 seconds after the system's powered on before I get the checker background pattern before the Welcome to Macintosh banner displays. Also, is there some utility that can be used to test the cache card somehow? I understand how cache normally works, just curious if there was a test mode/utility that you could use.

AppleIIfan
January 4th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Well mine does the same with a cache card installed.. Slow boot, then again mine has 64MB RAM in it, takes a bit to count all of that

olePigeon
January 6th, 2012, 09:10 AM
As AppleIIfan mentioned, depends on how much RAM you have. My IIci has 128MBs, and it takes a good minute before it starts to boot.

geoffm3
January 6th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Interesting. My system has 20MB in it and it boots almost instantaneously without the card installed, but like you guys indicate, it's much slower with it installed. I wonder why that is?

AppleIIfan
January 6th, 2012, 04:11 PM
I just dropped mine to 20mb, with the cache card in, it boots slow, with it out, boots up fast.

Seems they are all like that

Steve