PDA

View Full Version : Kim Komando, Larry in El Paso, Windows95

NathanAllan
April 1st, 2006, 09:19 PM
Tonight Kim Komando had a caller that has a 233mhz computer with 128mb ram and 504mb harddrive, and was wondering should he upgrade (it's his main machine). Of course she said yes, but in the course of the conversation she said that she still owns a C64 and some kindof TRS-80 (to quote, "trashy tandy"). The guy said that he upgraded from win3.1 (quote, "Windows 92, as I think of it" iirc). He also mentioned that he used to use CP/M and an Altair machine. He asked about upgrading and Kim said that win95 didn't have any of the security upgrades that are available for vista. I was thinking, thery're not there cause they're not needed; I can get as freeware any patch for any hole in win95 after about 10 minutes of surfing. XP and vista have holes that noone even knowsa bout yet. But the conversation went on about how he's on a dialup connection and she recommended that he get all the way up to 512mb of ram, and that made me wonder if his machine could even go up that high.

Just a neat thing that I heard today, and I thought I would pass it on. It also might attract Larry in El Paso to the Forums here and I'll have another person to meet locally.

alexkerhead
April 1st, 2006, 09:47 PM
Humm, good point. I still use my Tecra 740cdt with windows 98se for usual surfing. Does the job quite well.
Also, that person should be slapped for calling a Tandy "crappy"

NathanAllan
April 1st, 2006, 10:34 PM
I'd really like to meet Larry. There are lots of professional types around here that use old computers like my ex-teacher used a C64 portable to get her master's degree. I donated to her a desktop model so that she could retrieve her fuiles from it to hardcopy (with the understandign that if she ever needed to get rid of it she'd give it back). She said trashy, and though most people that know about it know about the term it's still not nice imho. They were good for their time.

I have three toshibas, one for win95 stuff, one that's got slackware linux on it and the other one was the first, good 'ol bulletproof 75mhz one that needs a hdd right now but otherwise works perfectly(I just wish that the linux desktop would start up for me on the 166).

alexkerhead
April 1st, 2006, 11:01 PM
PM me if you want a good 1.4GB HDD for a laptop.

Micom 2000
April 2nd, 2006, 01:22 AM
Actually "Trash 80" was an affectionate term even used by the trash-head afficionados. No offence taken.

Kim Kommando sounds kind of cool despite her IT market indoctrinaton. Is this a radio talk show host in El Paso ?

L

Also, that person should be slapped for calling a Tandy "crappy"

NathanAllan
April 2nd, 2006, 03:10 AM
It's national, I think she has affiliates listed at www.komando.com. She's part of the Westar Radio Network, as we are constantly reminded throughout the show. She is pretty cool, I guess. She's just all about new computers and every time win vista is announced as a topic she plays this little sound clip of like angels singing or whatever. And she's all about getting rid of the old and getting into the new. I listen cause delivering pizzas is broing and I like computers in general.