PDA

View Full Version : DOS games for my birthday

EverythingIBM
December 26th, 2011, 09:37 PM
So during our christmas eve dinner, my uncle gave me some DOS games for my birthday.
This included:
*Might and Magic: clouds of Xeen
*Might and Magic: dark side of Xeen
*Ultima VII
*the magic candle III

(Also got an IBM DOS binder and DOS 6 upgrade, but those aren't games!)

The cool thing is... the Ultima VII box actually still has the cloth map in it! Mint and everything. All of the above games are complete with manuals and registration forms.

So are those items collectible or anything? Not going to sell them, just curious.
I put the 3 1/2" diskettes in little plastic protective sleeves with an elastic to bundle them up (two use 3 1/2", and the other two 5 1/2" on 1.2MB diskettes). Not a big fan of 1.2MB 5 1/4" diskettes, they're not old enough, and they're not new enough :p

hargle
December 27th, 2011, 05:25 AM
these are fairly common games (they were all very popular), so probably not worth that much. There's an Ultima III with cloth map in mint condition on ebay for like $200. That's just the asking price, I doubt anyone will buy it for that kind of money. This does hint that maybe in another 10 years or so that these will be worth quite a bit more.
They are absolutely collectible, and you should hang onto them, or give them to me-it is that time of year ya know. ;)

barythrin
December 27th, 2011, 07:53 AM
They're newer ..older.. games :-) Like hargle said, not a gold mine right now but yeah I suppose as more sets die and maps, etc get lost it could go up in price eventually. Now of course, you need to play them and do a review or something for us :-) I remember M&M coming out and being pretty neat although I still enjoyed the older style TSR games at the time. Ultime VII should be really fun still. Think that one went mostly graphics but still had a nice txt element to it.

EverythingIBM
December 27th, 2011, 11:27 AM
They're newer ..older.. games :-) Like hargle said, not a gold mine right now but yeah I suppose as more sets die and maps, etc get lost it could go up in price eventually. Now of course, you need to play them and do a review or something for us :-) I remember M&M coming out and being pretty neat although I still enjoyed the older style TSR games at the time. Ultime VII should be really fun still. Think that one went mostly graphics but still had a nice txt element to it.

I do have an older Ultima set with IV V and VI (but VI wasn't in the box if I recall).

I'd love to do some game/hardware reviews whenever I get a video camera, and something to capture footage from my old computers. I'll be getting an ATI PCI NTSC card (from kishy), which will hopefully have S-Video out (I'm not going through the hurdles to capture from VGA directly heh).

Todd82TA
January 16th, 2012, 01:22 PM
So during our christmas eve dinner, my uncle gave me some DOS games for my birthday.
This included:
*Might and Magic: clouds of Xeen
*Might and Magic: dark side of Xeen
*Ultima VII
*the magic candle III

(Also got an IBM DOS binder and DOS 6 upgrade, but those aren't games!)

The cool thing is... the Ultima VII box actually still has the cloth map in it! Mint and everything. All of the above games are complete with manuals and registration forms.

So are those items collectible or anything? Not going to sell them, just curious.
I put the 3 1/2" diskettes in little plastic protective sleeves with an elastic to bundle them up (two use 3 1/2", and the other two 5 1/2" on 1.2MB diskettes). Not a big fan of 1.2MB 5 1/4" diskettes, they're not old enough, and they're not new enough :p

This makes me sad...

I had all the boxes, to ALL of the Ultima games, at least from 6 and up... but all the original boxes... you know those large ones that literally were made of cardboard. I had Underworld 1 and 2... both boxes, U7, U7 part 2, Wing Commander 1, Wing Commander 2, all of those games in boxes... plus a ton of other games that came out during that time too.

At some point, I started to get kind of weird about having all this "stuff." I totally didn't want to have an apartment like that guy in 40 year old Virgin, so I ended up taking all the CDs and discs out, put them in media folders, and then threw all the boxes away. I tossed all the cloth maps and manuals in a larger box, and pretty much got rid of all of that "stuff." It's sad, but I'm kind of glad (in the long run) that I don't have all that stuff. I think sometimes when you have too much stuff it can tie you down.

But yeah, those boxes are really something else... they put a lot of time and effort back then into the whole "package." When you bought the game, you were getting more than just a CD... you got the experience.