PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Manchester

bbcmicro
April 2nd, 2006, 11:49 AM
Hi there!

I'm from Manchester, UK i case you were wondering.

I've not been into old computers very long, no more than 18 months, but here is my collection so far (consider I started off with none!)

Packard Bell imedia P4 1gb RAM - My day to day machine and the bane of my life! arrrg! took me over a year to save up for. Dunno why. Not really 'Old' but n/m

BBC Microcomputer - My first real old one and one of my favourites. Did have 32kb shadow ram but was faulty so I removed it :( With Acorn Data Recorder (broken, then fixed, then broken again) and watford 5.25" Floppy Drive.

Macintosh Classic - I wanted an SE but they were too expensive. 1 bit graphics and maximum installation of 4mb RAM. Very nice. I like the way it ejects disks. heheh

Spectrum +2 - My least favourite machine (Gasp! Blasphemy!) But oddly the one I have the most Periphals and software for. Hmm...

Sega Megadrive - (does it count??) had for a few weeks now. Brings back memories of my childhood. I added an area switch for NTSC games. Not illegal btw, I checked!

Toshiba t3100e 'Laptop' - har har - 'Laptop' i detect broken kneecaps! rapidly becoming my favourite machine, 1024kb RAM and Amber screen. However, I was told that it has a hardrive but the controller doesn't work, and would be hard to repair. No idea what that means. So, no hard drive, just booting DOS 4.01 from disk and playing 3-demon and Adventure (text game)! yay! (actually, I would be grateful for help on this)

Matty.

//edit
Forgot my dell optiplex.

//edit
got pentium 1 laptop, faulty hdd

//edit
Gave away dell optiplex and took pentium laptop apart for spare to make room for Sharp 7200 portable in post :)

Erik
April 2nd, 2006, 12:00 PM
Welcome to the VC Forums!

Looks like a fine collection!

Enjoy!

Vlad
April 2nd, 2006, 12:01 PM
Thats a good start. The Toshiba sounds like more of a "portabel" than a laptop. Some times on machines like that, the hard drive controller was built in, so there really wasn't a way to fix it. I'm not sure on the particular machine though, someone else here probably know's more.

Welcome to the forums!

-Vlad

bbcmicro
April 2nd, 2006, 12:05 PM
Thanks!
I'm just happy that i'm not the only person in the world that thinks old computers are still cool.

alexkerhead
April 2nd, 2006, 06:32 PM
Thanks!
I'm just happy that i'm not the only person in the world that thinks old computers are still cool.
Welcome, and yes, it is an excellent feeling.:cool:

oldstuffrob
January 11th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Toshiba t3100e 'Laptop' - har har - 'Laptop' i detect broken kneecaps! rapidly becoming my favourite machine, 1024kb RAM and Amber screen. However, I was told that it has a hardrive but the controller doesn't work, and would be hard to repair. No idea what that means. So, no hard drive, just booting DOS 4.01 from disk and playing 3-demon and Adventure (text game)! yay! (actually, I would be grateful for help on this)

Matty.

## hi,
do have that knee-destroyer T3100e over here too..
battery is low, so some settings are lost after shutting off, but the machine boots and works fine.
do you have a correct way the keys translate to figures on the screen?
(all keys picture what you seen on the screen after pressing them)?
when: 'yes', what's the keyboard definition you use??
i use "keyb uk", but (only) 2 significant keys are not giving the output i want..

tx,
rob

bbcmicro
January 12th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Alas, the toshiba died many moons ago (I kept the keyboard as a relic) and I never checked what was in the autoexec.bat of the disk I booted from so I can't help you there.
Sorry :(