PDA

View Full Version : help! IBM PC info

bbcmicro
April 6th, 2006, 07:27 AM
I'm thinking about getting some form of IBM PC for my collection.

Could someone please tell me how much I would expect to pay for any model, and if there's one they would recomend? my T3100e has honed my DOS skills and I am eager to try them out on something more.. er.. reliable. Also, I have a stack of 5.25" floppies that look like they have interesting things on, they are probably no good but I had a box of BBC Micro 20 year old floppies with the files still intact and worlking!

I am wary of the price, as I haven't seen any on eBay (except for one in mint condition with packaging: here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IBM-5150-PERERSONAL-COMPUTER-AS-NEW_W0QQitemZ8787932927QQcategoryZ4193QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem)

715 and rising!

I have a pretty low budget so I'm not too hopeful, maybe its a particularly rare one?

Erik
April 6th, 2006, 08:12 AM
I'm thinking about getting some form of IBM PC for my collection.

Excellent idea! :)

Could someone please tell me how much I would expect to pay for any model, and if there's one they would recomend?

There are basically two "models" of the original IBM PC. The early model had a 64K motherboard and BASIC 1.0 in ROM, the later one had a 256K motherboard and BASIC 1.1 in ROM.

The earlier ones are rarer and usually more expensive for the same condition, etc.

For a complete system I think you should expect to pay at least $100 in eBay money for a later one and maybe twice that for an earlier one. Once you start adding things like original packaging and stuff the prices go up considerably.

I referenced one auction a year or two ago where a very early PC, fully boxed with an IBM printer and everything - including DOS 1.0 - sold for over $500 on eBay. If the owner had advertised that he had DOS 1.0 he'd have gotten a lot more. . .

I am wary of the price, as I haven't seen any on eBay (except for one in mint condition with packaging: here (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IBM-5150-PERERSONAL-COMPUTER-AS-NEW_W0QQitemZ8787932927QQcategoryZ4193QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem)

715 and rising!

I have a pretty low budget so I'm not too hopeful, maybe its a particularly rare one?

Anyone paying that much for a machine like that is nuts. Sure the boxes are nice to have and all, but I've seen several boxed PCs over the years. They aren't gold or anything!

You should be able to find one cheaper! :D

Good luck!

Terry Yager
April 6th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Shipping cost is also a major factor. You really should try to get one locally, they aren't hard to find.

--T

bbcmicro
April 6th, 2006, 09:22 AM
wow, that IBM went for over 1000!
Maybe they are harder to find in the uk?
A lot of things are. I had to pay more for a Mac Classic than I would in the states simply because they aren't as common around here, although there's harldy a shortage.
I see what you mean though, 1071.00! that guy must be nuts.

Terry Yager
April 6th, 2006, 12:14 PM
I consider it a fluke, not a trend. EBay just seems to develop a case of Alzhiemer's from time to time...

--T

alexkerhead
April 6th, 2006, 02:38 PM
I agree, a IBM 5150 is a great idea, they can be gotten for around $75-$150 on the bay. Dont understand why that one went so damned high.

Terry Yager
April 6th, 2006, 03:19 PM
If you're lucky, they can still be found at local thrift shop/flea market/yard sales for five or ten buck$.

--T

dpatten
April 10th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Or if you are lucky, like I was you can pick up a nice one that somebody has binned.

Micom 2000
April 10th, 2006, 04:26 PM
Wow, years ago I scooped up any IBMs PCs I could find. Ditto the keyboards. Now a lot of my stock is gone, tho I do have 3, including one that must have been stored in a Hepa environment. I even boxed it. I also have a PC m-b.

My problem on most of the vintage forums is asking a price. I tend to feel most collectors are friends and how can you ask the sometimes inflated prices, or unique prices that do occur on E-Pay. I know my own budget limitations and I agonize to ask a fellow collector who I sympathise with a going price. Sure much of your stuff was collected curbside or in thrifts, but all those small payments amount to a lot over 10 years in my case.

At one time I went 6 months storing stuff in lockers at $140 a month. I wanted to establish a Computer Museum in Toronto. Yes it was MY obsession but I wasn't someone who could simply toss their old computer in a closet and elect to sell them later when it became obvious they wouldn't use them again. Of course I had duplicates as well in many cases.

After 20 years of collecting I also have mucho parts and books. Should you need something ask. Obviously I don't have the vast amounts that Terry has in his "Computer Hell" but I do have a shitload of stuff. I'll ask prices determined by Ebay at slightly less, but I won't usually give it away, unless you can convince me of worthiness.
:^))

Lawrence