PDA

View Full Version : Atari ST ACSI Cable

dorkbert
January 27th, 2012, 03:14 PM
I this DB19 cable straight through?

Chuck(G)
January 27th, 2012, 03:18 PM
According my notes, it is. Basically a SCSI interface with some inverted signals.

barythrin
January 27th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Do you have a multimeter? A continuity check would be straight forward if you're just pin matching.

dorkbert
January 27th, 2012, 03:33 PM
thanks for the replies. I do not have the cable, and paying $30 for such a cable seem excessive, so I wanted to find out if it's something I can wire myself.

Micom 2000
January 30th, 2012, 07:53 AM
thanks for the replies. I do not have the cable, and paying $30 for such a cable seem excessive, so I wanted to find out if it's something I can wire myself.

Out of curiosity where did you find the cable at that price. They generally go for much more and I believe there are driver programs still available such as HDDriver.

Maverick1978
January 31st, 2012, 07:31 AM
Why would a simple ASCI cable go for much more that $30? I ask that seriously - does it have the Atari logo or something?

I would assume that even a custom cable place like Redmond Cable would charge ~$30 to wire one up. As Chuck said, it's essentially a straight-through cable.

I'd be more curious about whether he's actually got a working ASCI drive for the ST :) IIRC, those were all MFM/RLL drives, and most are long since dead. I use the ICD AdSCSI adapter on mine.

dorkbert
January 31st, 2012, 08:13 AM
I think some of the megafiles goes from ACSI to SCSI to MFM/RLL (ACB4000A/4070) and later units goes from ACSI to SCSI, depending on the vintage. The cable was listed on fleaBay from an UK seller (15 pounds + 5 pounds shipping; comes out 30+ USD.) I think I'll swing by Halted (http://www.halted.com/) and see if they have any DB19M in stock...

g4ugm
February 5th, 2012, 09:41 AM
They are expensive because 19-way d-types that are needed to make one of these are not available new any where I know of.

Chuck(G)
February 5th, 2012, 10:04 AM
When I built my ACSI cables, it was JDR that had the connectors and backshells. But no longer, I suspect, after more than 20 years.

However, they're still around--B&A seems to have them (http://www.ba-electronics.com/asccustompages/products.asp?ProductID=2438). Be sure to get the matching backshell.

g4ugm
February 5th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Thanks for that. Very usefull.

g4ugm
February 5th, 2012, 10:18 AM
The big suppliers in the uk (Farnell, Rapid and RadioSpares) only have the ones used on PCs I have tried to find some with other suppliers with ni success. I did get one on e-bay but it was about $15

Maverick1978
February 7th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Nice link, Chuck - fwiw, they also have the hard-to-find 23-pin connectors used for Amiga RGB cables (I had to cut down a Parallel cable to 23-pin when making my Amiga->9pin VGA cable a few weeks ago)