PDA

View Full Version : PS2 at 300Mhz!!!

jjzcp
April 10th, 2006, 08:23 PM
I saw that the PS2 clockspeed is at 300MHz. Thats amasing! If I had a 600Mhz computer that could play those type of games, i'd be shocked let alone, a 300MHz computer! I wonder how they do it?

alexkerhead
April 10th, 2006, 08:33 PM
I saw that the PS2 clockspeed is at 300MHz. Thats amasing! If I had a 600Mhz computer that could play those type of games, i'd be shocked let alone, a 300MHz computer! I wonder how they do it?
It is all about the game engine.
If they wanted too, everquest II could run on a 1Ghz P3 easy.
They just use cumbersome stupid game world engines, then Sony used a very efficient engine.

carlsson
April 11th, 2006, 02:24 AM
Also remember that the PlayStation 2 is built with a vector technology quite different from other CPUs, and it took a couple of years before game developers outside Sony had understood it well enough to get the most out of it. Normally clock frequency is a very poor speed measurement when comparing different types of CPUs, and it may be an even worse measurement in this case. FWIW, the first generation XBox had a modified (?) Pentium III at 700+ MHz if I recall correctly.

Vlad
April 11th, 2006, 04:07 AM
The First Xbox had a mobile P III chipd useing the Coppermine Core at 700 MHz.
I don't know if it was modified or not, but it's just a laptop processor soldered to the board.

-V

jjzcp
April 11th, 2006, 07:56 PM
isn't the coppermine chip a type of celeron? I think i have one in my dell laptop.

Vlad
April 11th, 2006, 08:00 PM
The Coppermine was a Pentium. It was in between the Katmai and Coppermine-T cores. All of which were Pentiums.

Good Info here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_III

-Vlad

alexkerhead
April 11th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Don't forget tualatin...lol
I use 2x 1000MHz Pentium III coppermines in my secondary posting machine.

USSEnterprise
April 14th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Wait, I thought that the PS2 is only a 233MHz processor, and the PSP is 333MHz

jjzcp
April 14th, 2006, 09:21 PM
That's what i thought to, until i saw it was at a different clock speed, on some web sites. Mabye the web sites are wrong, or mabye, Sony changed the clockspeed in there second generation PS2, when it basicly got put into a smaller case.

carlsson
April 15th, 2006, 12:41 PM
The two versions of PlayStation 2 should be 100% compatible, I believe, maybe with exception to hardware extentions relying on a particular case layout. I remember seeing the figure of about 300 MHz many years ago, when it was new on the market. But as I wrote, it is a different kind of architecture so clock frequency says even less in this case than otherwise.