PDA

View Full Version : Resize partitions under A/UX?

platatomi
February 10th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I finally have A/UX 2.0 booting on my IIfx, but not through the normal way...

Because I have no CDROM drive I can't do a normal install, so I dumped the CD (which is basically complete installation image) to my mac hard drive under Linux with dd and now I have a working system. But, my disk is now constrained to the 80MB of partitioned space from the CD image, so I have no free space for anything.

I really need to resize the existing / partition or add another in all the extra space (about 620MB). I try Apple HD SC setup but it thinks the entire drive is 80MB so it won't let me make another partition.

How would I go about reclaiming all that space?

jrehmer
February 10th, 2012, 05:11 PM
I could be incorrect, but I don't believe you'll be able to remedy this. You'd probably want to get a second SCSI hard drive to put the A/UX install image on and run the setup from that.

The problem is you really do only have one partition, but since you used dd to copy the CD it overwrites the layout of the drive. There may be a way with dd to have it fill the free space on the volume, but I am not sure how you would go about it.

platatomi
February 10th, 2012, 05:22 PM
I actually did try using two hard drives, one with the install image, and the other to install onto. The installer looks explicitly for a CD and would not accept the install source being on a hard drive.

And what really bothers me is that I have a complete set of install floppies (30 somthing) but I can't use them because they are a strange format that I can't open in any program. If only I could use those floppy images I could do a normal install and all would be well.

Just for grins could anyone please see what you can do with these? I can;t figure out how to use them!

ftp://themacarchive.net/uploads/aux-2.0-floppy-version.tar.gz

both the username and password are "guest"

justjunk
February 10th, 2012, 05:44 PM
I don't know if it is possible or will work for you but I use parted magic ( http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=start ) to resize windows and linux partitions all the time. If you have another computer that can boot from cd (or maybe usb) and can connect your apple drive (probably scsi?) to it just might work. Parted Magic supports the following: btrfs, ext2, ext3, ext4, fat16, fat32, hfs, hfs+, jfs, linux-swap, ntfs, reiserfs, and xfs. What it is the format for Apple A/UX? It is a free program, easy to use, and worth looking at if your file system is supported.

platatomi
February 10th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Yes parted magic is great, thats what I used to dump the CD to the hard drive. I know that the filesystem isn't a problem because HFS and UFS are supported. The problem is the apple-specific partition table that i don't believe parted magic or any *nix will be able to read. But I will give that try!

Another possibility is changing partitions under OS X. I can see the drive and partitions from Tiger on my G4. In this case the problem isn't partition table incompatibly but filesystem incompatibility. OS X won't touch a UFS volume.

platatomi
February 10th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Just discovered a bit of a work-around. I found out that I can dump the A/UX 3.0.1 CD (wanted 3.0.1 anyway) to the HD and get it boot (did this before but the Mac partition wouldn't boot or mount) the same way, and that image comes with about 130MB of free space incorporated already. It will work, just not ideal.