PDA

View Full Version : PCE, the IBM 5150 emulator

Tr3vor
February 12th, 2012, 01:42 PM
So, I found this and I was wondering, how do I get programs and stuff on these virtual floppies and hard disk drives. the floppy format is PFDC, and the HDD format is PIMG.

Has anyone messed around with these emulators?

Chuck(G)
February 12th, 2012, 02:18 PM
I wonder what they do for a cassette interface?

tezza
February 12th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Not sure about PCE, but I have used Virtual PC 2007 (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/virtual-pc-2007.aspx) to test out some MS-DOS stuff. It's "mostly" compatible but DOSBOX is probably better for games. It's not really a 5150 emulator though. From memory the smallest RAM you can specify is 4MB!

I use WinImage to image floppy disks.

Tez

hampa
February 12th, 2012, 03:06 PM
So, I found this and I was wondering, how do I get programs and stuff on these virtual floppies and hard disk drives. the floppy format is PFDC, and the HDD format is PIMG.

Has anyone messed around with these emulators?

PFDC is PCE's own file format for floppy disk images. It is roughly similar in capabilities to ImageDisk (*.IMD) and Teledisk (*.TD0) images. PCE comes with a command line utility (named pfdc) that can convert floppy disk images to/from a variety of file formats. To convert between pfdc images and raw sector dump images you would use commands like these:

pfdc src.pfdc -O raw dst.img
pfdc src.img dst.pfdc

pfdc src.pfdc dst.imd
pfdc src.imd dst.td0

Check out the man page and 'pfdc --help' for more information. The latter will give a list of supported file formats, among other things.

Note that you don't have to use pfdc images. All image file formats that pfdc can handle can also be used directly with PCE.

PIMG are simple raw images with a short header. They can be converted with pce-img (also included with PCE):

pce-img convert src.pimg dst.img
pce-img convert src.img dst.pimg
pce-img convert src.qed dst.pimg

Hampa

hampa
February 12th, 2012, 03:10 PM
I wonder what they do for a cassette interface?

PCE uses raw PCM files for that (8 bit signed PCM at 44100 Hz).

Hampa