PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Apple Lisa

tobyaherbert
February 14th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Hi everyone!

I own an apple lisa which was dead but i managed to bring it back to life (the I/O board had corroded from the batteries which is normal from what i've read). I cleaned it up and it switches on and operates normally except for the fact that the screen bounces up and down constantly. What should i do to fix this? Is the problem on the analog board?

Also the profile drive does not work (Model A9M1005, Seagate Drive ST-506 or ST-509) and makes static sounds. Do i need a new one?

Just a hint for others repairing their lisa, i had a problem where the lisa was just showing random white lines and a checkerboard which took me a while to figure out how to solve. I was testing the lisa's capacitors with a multimeter and noticed that they were charging (found that out on youtube :^)). I let them charge for a minute or two and kept reversing the polarity of the multimeter (just swap the wires around on the meter) and eventually got the lisa working. NOTE on the I/O board you should use the multimeter to charge the top right capacitor as the (prongs for lack of a better word) are facing down.

Thanks For The Help!

Toby Herbert.

RWallmow
February 15th, 2012, 01:19 PM
...I cleaned it up and it switches on and operates normally except for the fact that the screen bounces up and down constantly. What should i do to fix this? Is the problem on the analog board?

Definitely analog board, possibly flyback, but could be any capacitor really. I would recap all the caps due to age on it, shouldn't be a HUGE job to recap, all of it should be fairly large through the hole soldering work, something anyone competent with a soldering iron could probably do. If you aren't comfortable soldering I am sure you could get someone to do it for hire.

Also the profile drive does not work (Model A9M1005, Seagate Drive ST-506 or ST-509) and makes static sounds. Do i need a new one?cant help much here, not sure there's much to do besides a drive replacement. I seem to recall someone was making a compact flash adapter for Lisa's, not sure if it was a "profile" or "widget" emulator though (I will link when I find it).

tobyaherbert
March 9th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Definitely analog board, possibly flyback, but could be any capacitor really. I would recap all the caps due to age on it, shouldn't be a HUGE job to recap, all of it should be fairly large through the hole soldering work, something anyone competent with a soldering iron could probably do. If you aren't comfortable soldering I am sure you could get someone to do it for hire.

cant help much here, not sure there's much to do besides a drive replacement. I seem to recall someone was making a compact flash adapter for Lisa's, not sure if it was a "profile" or "widget" emulator though (I will link when I find it).

Thanks RWallmow.

TanruNomad
March 9th, 2012, 01:16 PM
The bouncing monitor definitely sounds like fractured solder joints on or around the flyback. It happens on all of my vintage CRTs including on my Commodore Amiga monitor and IIGS RGB monitor. Like RWallmow said, it's very easy to repair this. I'm probably the last person you'd want to hire for a soldering job with my clumsy, shaky hands but even I can do these kinds of monitor repairs. The profile is another story. Could be an easy fix, but I know nothing about them.

Soupwizard
March 9th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Do you have the Larry Pina book "Macintosh Repair & Upgrade Secrets"? It covers Lisa's too. If you have a Lisa, it's worth the $10 for a used copy.

http://www.amazon.com/Macintosh-Repair-Upgrade-Secrets-library/dp/0672484528/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1331333296&sr=8-3

tezza
March 9th, 2012, 07:31 PM
Just on the bouncing screen, one of mine had that symptom initially too. I found spraying contact cleaner on the adjustable pots on the top of the video card (the ones for vertical size, hold etc.) and working them back and forth a few times seem to solve the problem. Just note their positions initially so you can come back it it.

Re: the Profile. it would pay to check that the Profile PSU is delivering what it should.

Tez