PDA

View Full Version : Windows 95 hangs on startup with new network card.

DOS lives on!!
February 18th, 2012, 01:31 PM
I'm trying to get an Eagle Technologies NE2000T Plus card to work on a Windows 95 computer. When the card is inserted, Windows freezes up on the startup screen. When the ethernet cord is connected, it asks for a password before starting up (in the BIOS screen).:confused:

I first tried the card without drivers, then installed the drivers, but that makes no difference.

It starts up fine when the card is removed (of course). Any ideas of what's causing this? Could it be an IRQ conflict?

Elvi
February 18th, 2012, 01:43 PM
It is normal for win95 and 98 to wait a litle at the logo display when there is a network card in the system as it's searching for connection.

Agent Orange
February 18th, 2012, 01:46 PM
DOS,

I've used the NE2000 for years with no problems on my 486's and '95. It shouldn't hang on boot. Whether or not you have a driver problem would be another issue, IMHO. Why not try another card - they're not that hard to find. Also, with 2 IRQ's knocking heads I don't think it would hang, but it would give you an error. You might try a different slot and see if that makes a difference.

DOS lives on!!
February 18th, 2012, 01:56 PM
It completely freezes up, nothing responds. I've let it run for 15 minutes, and nothing. Having the ethernet pluged in or unplugged doesn't matter.

Caluser2000
February 18th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Wild assumption. Does the card have a boot prom on it?

Old Thrashbarg
February 18th, 2012, 02:17 PM
You will get a hang when the card is set to use DHCP on a network with static IPs, but usually it'll time out after 5-10 minutes and continue on.

The password thing sounds like there's something more to that network card, like maybe it's trying to use a net-boot function or something. If there's a ROM installed on the card, disable it. Also, there may be a jumper setting to select the topology... if you're using a modern type of network with CAT5 and a switch/router you'll want it set to 'star', or if you're using the old 10Base2 coax then set it to 'linear' (and make sure you have terminators properly installed).

DOS lives on!!
February 18th, 2012, 02:42 PM
There's no jumpers on the card. I'll see if I can find any information on the boot ROM.

I have a feeling that this card is rebranded by Eagle Technologies. Along with that on the sticker, it also says Novell.

Chuck(G)
February 18th, 2012, 02:43 PM
My guess is conflicting resources (IRQ or port address). I use NE2000 generic boards quite a bit with Win9x with no serious issues--once I have them set up correctly.

DOS lives on!!
February 18th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Wouldn't the IRQ conflicts be checked in the Device Manager?

DOS lives on!!
February 18th, 2012, 04:04 PM
If the IRQ conflicts are checked in the Device Manager, how could I check for and resolve them if the PC won't start up all the way? The PC will only boot without the card. Kind of a catch 22 when no conflicts can be solved if I can't get to them!:mad:

Caluser2000
February 18th, 2012, 04:23 PM
If the card doesn't have jumpers you can use a boot disk with the card setup utils on it and change its settings then try again.

Also have a look in the bios and see what IRQs and addresses have already been allocated in there. Assuming it has IDE/com/lpt etc integrated in the mobo of course.

You could pull any extra cards fitted, like sound cards, out to see if its conflicting.

What is the system btw?

Pepinno
February 18th, 2012, 04:27 PM
A NE2000 Ethernet card is pretty standard, I would try to do a test install of a contemporary-to-the-motherboard Linux distribution, and see whether Linux can make the card work or not.

If Linux works with the network card, then your Win95 install is foobar.

DOS lives on!!
February 18th, 2012, 05:36 PM
The system is a Gateway 2000 P5-100. I tried a diagnostic utility I found online, but when attempting to start it from the prompt, it says some files don't match. I'll check the BIOS settings sometime later.

Chuck(G)
February 18th, 2012, 05:39 PM
I'm assuming that your NE2000 card is of the ISA PNP type. If that's true, it was shipped with a (DOS) utility that allows you to specify IRQ and port addresses and even run a diagnostic.

You really need that utility to make things work right.

DOS lives on!!
February 19th, 2012, 03:00 AM
And I found a diagnostic utility for it here. (http://download.driverguide.com/driver/NE2000T/Eagle+Technology/d49410.html) But when I ran it from the DOS prompt, it said that some files don't match and it couldn't continue.

Chuck(G)
February 19th, 2012, 09:00 AM
What's the network chip on the board? There are only a few--I may have a setup routine from another manufacturer that works with it.

(One of the big problems with "jumperless' ISA boards, sort of like MCA boards without ADF files).

EDIT: Try the files HERE (ftp://200.55.131.6/Drivers/Red/Eagle_%28NE-2000Plus%29/).

TNC
February 19th, 2012, 10:06 AM
When you install a NE2000 compatible networkcard, always look, if the manufacturer has a driver for it. This may saves you from unnecessary problems. For example the cards with the Realtek RTL8019AS chipset. They appear to work fine with the generic ne2000 driver, but not even a single byte is transmitted. Apart from that, these are really nice cards.

DOS lives on!!
February 19th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Thanks for that Chuck. Whenever I would try to run the PLUSDIAG program, it said that one of the .MSG files didn't match up with the program. But that came from DG. That whole setup is at a different location, so it may be a while before I can get back to it.

TNC, I checked the Wayback Machine, but there's many sites named Eagle Technologies, and none of them turned up what I wanted. However, the proper drivers that Chuck provided may solve the problem.

Caluser2000
February 19th, 2012, 07:29 PM
There is the possibility it is a *&^%ed card. Do you have another card you can use?

DOS lives on!!
February 20th, 2012, 03:27 AM
Yep, I got spare cards. WWhen I get over there next, I'll try them out.

Whenever I had the cable plugged in, the green light would continuously stay on, and with it unplugged, the orange light would stay on.

Caluser2000
February 26th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Any update?

DOS lives on!!
February 27th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Yep. Forgot to update.

I finally did get it on the internet, using a 3com 3C905-TX PCI card. The computer configured everything automatically with the card. And I tried getting on the forums with IE5.5, but too much Java hit. Google runs fine.

While I was taking the ISA card out to replace it, I managed to cut myself. While pushing up on the card from the back, my finger slipped through the slot and the sides of the slot cut my finger on both sides! DON'T PUSH THE CARD OUT FROM THE BACK!

The startup password thing doesn't happen with the new card. I don't really know howw that came up. Anyway, everything works now.

Chuck(G)
February 27th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Cheap Far East metal fab. Do yourself a favor and get some emery cloth and blunt those sharp edges on your case. I do that with all my cases and I can actually pick them up now without cutting myself.

DOS lives on!!
February 27th, 2012, 12:09 PM
I haven't yet and don't plan to wash away the small red splotch on the network card. It'll remind me of how fun networking with old equipment is.

Isn't DOS network setup fun? :)

Old Thrashbarg
February 27th, 2012, 12:42 PM
I finally did get it on the internet, using a 3com 3C905-TX PCI card.

That's a good solution, those cards are pretty much trouble free. I always keep a few around because they'll work with everything. Another good one to keep an eye out for is the ISA cousin of those, the 3C509.

DOS lives on!!
February 27th, 2012, 12:50 PM
I've got one of those cards too. I was going to use that one in my Dell System 310, but the Addtron one looked neater.

The thing is with those cards, it's always hard to find the drivers for them online. Mst everybody provides them for the 3C905B-TX. But Windows 95 installed it as Plug-n-Play, and had the drivers ready to go.

Caluser2000
February 27th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Good to see you got it sorted. Try disabling the java stuff and have another shot with IE if you can. What version of Win95?

DOS lives on!!
February 28th, 2012, 03:18 AM
Not sure about the version. Once I get over there again, I'll disable Javascript and tell the results.

Old Thrashbarg
February 28th, 2012, 05:40 AM
The thing is with those cards, it's always hard to find the drivers for them online.

That's because most OSes have the drivers already built-in... there's usually no need to download them.

If you're using Win95 OSR2 (and you really should be, there's no disadvantage to it and it's much better than the first version of 95), then try out Opera 9. It works natively on Win95, but is modern enough that you won't run into too many compatibility issues on websites... other than the lack of Flash, of course, but it's not like Flash content will run on such an old machine anyhow.

DOS lives on!!
February 28th, 2012, 06:40 AM
I know, pretty much all the Windows OSs already have the drivers ready to install. I needed a downloaded driver card for an installation once, think it was Windows 95, but that installation of 95 for some reason didn't have the drivers for the card at all. Anyway, just a good thing to have just in case.

Caluser2000
February 28th, 2012, 10:28 PM
I can here the screams of avid linux users now:) It really depends on your hardware/os selection. On some systems I've had better luck with linux. At least you'er all sorted.