PDA

View Full Version : 2.1 discs...???

canuck46
April 13th, 2006, 07:56 PM
So,I'd like to reformat my 5150's Hard Drive but I cant install(or copy) from the 2.1 Boot discs Ive got(outa the Dos book) there write protected but theres no provision(no notch!!) to un-protect(?) them.So, Does anyone have a copy that they could copy for me.... I went to EB** and got scared off on that one. I put Dos 5 on the HDD but I'd like the older version if posible but $130 is a bit much. I might have to go to plan "B".... which is go into the vault and see what Ive got besides Dos 5.:confused:

alexkerhead
April 13th, 2006, 08:42 PM
So,I'd like to reformat my 5150's Hard Drive but I cant install(or copy) from the 2.1 Boot discs Ive got(outa the Dos book) there write protected but theres no provision(no notch!!) to un-protect(?) them.So, Does anyone have a copy that they could copy for me.... I went to EB** and got scared off on that one. I put Dos 5 on the HDD but I'd like the older version if posible but $130 is a bit much. I might have to go to plan "B".... which is go into the vault and see what Ive got besides Dos 5.:confused:
PM me if you want 3.1

Terry Yager
April 14th, 2006, 06:26 AM
I don't get it. Write Protection doesn't prevent the disk from being read or copied. Your disk must be Read Protected.

--T

canuck46
April 15th, 2006, 11:21 AM
:rolleyes: So,Just before I panic I thought Id go look in the vault(Old Dresser-Full of discs) and I found a few "Maybe's so I'll check them out first. For what its worth I found 2 - 2.1 discs I made in 1992 (5.25)and 3.5's I made sometime !!!! I also found Dos 3.3,4.1 another Dos 5 (5.25)along with the newer ones....6 and 6.22. I also found a original set of Win 3.0 and 3.1 on 5.25 discs as well as Win 3.0 and 3.1 and 3.11 on 3.5's. Surely something will work.Some of these have never been opened.Also found a set of OS - 2 ????? Anyways,I'll see how this goes before I panic. Anyone need copies of any of these discs ??...Let me know.I will be testing them within the next week or two.Happy Easter To All.

Dave:p

Micom 2000
April 15th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Cool. I have about 200 5 1/4 old MSDOS disks I scored during a visit to Vancouver at the height of the anything goes garbage pickup and spring cleanup Yard sales. Also an almost complete collection of Micro-80 magazines.

A lot of them were CPR (Canadian Pacific RR) labelled disks. There has to be some goodies there. It's in my "To-Do" list to actually see what I scored some 3 years ago.
I also have projects going back 10 years. :^{
I'm admittedly guilty. I'll flaggelate myself tomorrow.

On occasion I've run across real gems that I had forgotten about downloaded from some BBS or another.
Recently I ran across an unresticted, possibly 1st version of Telemate. I must really scour these old disks before bit-rot sets in.

Lawrence

canuck46
April 15th, 2006, 04:20 PM
after trying 10 different Hard Drives and 20 different discs......I got this brilliant thought(From the DOS God?) and I finally rememembered the right way of doing it.Machine currantly has Dos 3.3 running on it quite happily and now that I know how(again)...I'll re-format and put 2.1 on it...YeeeeHaaaa.... Waving the dead chicken over it might have helped too:)

Dave:shocked:

Terry Yager
April 15th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Hey, never underestimate the power of a little [white] majik...

--T

canuck46
April 16th, 2006, 03:47 PM
So,After all that....I was a little tense...So for a change of direction....I whipped up a quick web page.....and Im trying my hand(again) at taking pictures....Im much better at fixing computers,New or Old. Have a look and no laughing....only took a couple hours.....

http://www3.telus.net/computer_haven/index.htm

The name will be changing in 12 hours or so pending name approval...will advise.

Dave:bomb:

alexkerhead
April 16th, 2006, 08:23 PM
So,After all that....I was a little tense...So for a change of direction....I whipped up a quick web page.....and Im trying my hand(again) at taking pictures....Im much better at fixing computers,New or Old. Have a look and no laughing....only took a couple hours.....

http://www3.telus.net/computer_haven/index.htm

The name will be changing in 12 hours or so pending name approval...will advise.

Dave:bomb:
Nice computer collection and site.
The pic on the front page is the best, kind of what I want todo sometimes..lol

canuck46
April 17th, 2006, 08:46 PM
For what its worth...New Web Page Addy is..... dcrventures.com

Im workin on it daily as time allows...WORK keeps interupting me but I'll get it done soon !!!:D

MoonShadow
April 27th, 2006, 04:59 AM
Canuck46,

I would greatly appreciate if you could email me copies of the OS/2 disks -
also, what version are they? 1.3? 2.2? Thanks in advance,
MoonShadow

P.S.
Everyone else,
I may soon be switching to a non-windows computer (also non-shared. :), so expect a fairly long period of inactivity, and after that I'll be back on again a lot more often.
The main reason for getting a new computer (hopefully a PowerBook G3) is that my current (shared) PIII celeron 1.2GHz WinXP computer is dying a slow and painful death. It currently has no "start"-bar or desktop (virus, I think) and it's running veeerrrryyy slow. It also sometimes bluescreens because of the display driver.

canuck46
May 22nd, 2006, 11:26 AM
Oops...Sorry about the delay answering this...I didnt see it !!!! I'll check disc version and advise later today....Again,sorry for the delay.

Dave:sleepy:

canuck46
May 22nd, 2006, 06:44 PM
The OS2 discs I have are for OS2 Warp version 3 which might be newer than what you want...there are 13 Discs plus 4 driver(?) discs...Somewhere I have a book on OS2 that I got from same place...I'll check it out and advise...

Dave:D